Pine resin/pitch uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
I have collected this week some 2 kg of mostly dry pine pitch on a few sick trees that have it running in big quantities along their trunks.

I plan to make my own danish oil, and glues.
(danish oil with linseed oil, glue with coal)

Does anybody here has any other use or recipy to tell me that I may find interesting????

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Yep, Retzina, and bet what, it tastes like pine resin too , which for a wine is not that great :D

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
JM it has good antiseptic qualities. I've used it on cuts at it keeps the nasties out of the wound and promotes healing.

Soap can be made with it and is recommended for people with skin conditions like Psoriasis, I have yet to try making some but plan too.

And lastly of course it's great for wilderness candles.

Moduser

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Thanks Mod,

I just filtered it after melting it. 10 % was impurities, so it is not too bad.

I have filled a 1kg conserve can of the pure stuff. It is well dry though indeed there is still some therebentine in it (could smell it when melting), it cracks and crumbles easily, so it is mostly colophan left.

The rest I mixed hot with linseed oil to make danish oil for the wood handles.

I am interest by the soap, how would you proceed?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Regarding the soap, I'm not 100% sure.

I make normal soap using vegetable lard and caustic soda then add oils etc.

With pine resin soap I'm wondering if the resin it self would be a substitute for the fat or just used as an additive to a basic soap recipe.

If the later then you might as well buy a basic organic soap, heat it in a double boiler and add the resin, stir well and let it set in a mould of some kind.

I need to do a bit more research, unless anyone else knows.

Moduser

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
The resin has nothing of a greasy thing, so I'd bet on additive. I will try...

the oil 1/3 resin 2/3 linseed oil is great!

I did an experiment, and mixed resin and bees wax, and..... I reinvented depilatory wax ! same odor, same look, same gluing.... :lmao:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I plan to make my own danish oil, and glues.
(danish oil with linseed oil, glue with coal)
I found the pine resin+charcoal glue can be a bit brittle and sets very quickly.... add a little beeswax and its easier to mold before it sets, and when it does, its not as brittle ;)

The soap is always a good one as pine resin is quite a good insect repelent to keep those bugs away.

:D
Ed

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Okay, seems I'll do some soap then ;-) Thanks for your answers.

Yesterday, I did more tries, and diluting the pitch in aceton or 95% alcool makes an interesting primer for wood (handles), as it penetrates very deep and dries quickly.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I collected a load a while back and up until now haven't really had a use for it. I just love the smell. I think i'll just keep it untill I need a bit of glue.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Extremely easy, Find a diseased tree that leaks resin, and you'll collect it dry by kilogram.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Am I the only one to use dry resin as chewing gum?
Find a lump on the side of a tree and crack it off using the tip of your knife, trying not to get any bark, impurities or any soft resin in it. When you start to chew, it generally crumbles into a powdery consistency which takes a bit of getting used to. But it soon reforms into a soft ball similar to shop bought gum - tastes alright, freshens the breath and is free ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS soft resin takes an age to spit out and coats your teeth for a long time, best to wash it down with a hot cup of tea.

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Heh, no wrigley's though;)

I was in a forest the other day but most of the tress were covered in moss so I'd say it's hard to find resin then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE