Potassium Permanganate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
How much Potassium Permanganate has to be added to a quantity of water to (A) sterilise it and (B) make an antiseptic.

Cheers.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Light pinkish colour for purifying... 2-3 crystals per litre.... Bit darker for antiseptic. But it can burn if to strong so a case of test to find out.

Not used it, but this is my understanding of it. Hopfully someone will confirm this

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Yep thats about right for sterilising water. Just the tiniest amount to very lightly colour the water. Dont know about burning you though, its used as a solution for foot fungal infections. I've had it on my hands in neat form and then splashed water on them and I've not been burned,brown maybe but not burned.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Yep thats about right for sterilising water. Just the tiniest amount to very lightly colour the water. Dont know about burning you though, its used as a solution for foot fungal infections. I've had it on my hands in neat form and then splashed water on them and I've not been burned,brown maybe but not burned.

+1 i use it a lot.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just be aware that it takes the tiniest amount to color water. I made the mistake of buying 250gms, it should last me around 174 lifetimes.

I can also testify to having feet David Dickinson would be proud of.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi al your up late can't sleep eh its all this heat buddy you going to the moot ? regards dave

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
It absolutely doesn't burn. Stains like mad though.

When you soak hands or feet its the deep colour of methylated spirits at least.

Happily ill stand corrected on the burn front. Only based it on looking into it before where various sources say it can following repeated use. Not tried it myself yet though.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Happily ill stand corrected on the burn front. Only based it on looking into it before where various sources say it can following repeated use. Not tried it myself yet though.

I have unfortunately had to use the PP baths a few times. I managed to get an infected rash on my hands.

It doesn't burn. It might dry your hands a bit and it absolutely will give you the tan of an Essex girl.

To make it combust you have to add glycerine.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE