Loo roll, a word of warning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Timely warning indeed.

I find this sentence worrying:
"Once an integral part of camping, campfires are becoming increasingly unacceptable, the MCofS said."

This seems to imply that they would prefer a blanket ban on all fires. The responsible would then lose this freedom because of the actions of the irresponsible.

Z

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't burn poo paper anyway...

Dig hole.
Poo in hole.
Wipe.
Paper in hole.
Fill hole with dirt.

The paper will take a while to degrade, sure, but it will degrade without harming anything.

My process aside, there are probably more fires started by badly extinguished cigarettes than flaming turd papers.

Timely warning indeed.

I find this sentence worrying:
"Once an integral part of camping, campfires are becoming increasingly unacceptable, the MCofS said."

This seems to imply that they would prefer a blanket ban on all fires. The responsible would then lose this freedom because of the actions of the irresponsible.

Z

Yes, that one worries me too. They should be teaching people how to be responsible, not just saying 'don't do it'.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
They have totally the wrong approach. The problems arising from camp fires spreading and causing damage is because people have lost the skill in making safe fires. If you are not brought up seeing them made properly (because it is so frowned upon or illegal), how are you going to know how to do it properly when you are caught short or (inevitably) mucking about with your mates on a camp?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
i've often wondered whether the incineration technique kills the bacteria that break it down and make it last longer anyway(I don't make sure it all burns I admit), like on Time Team. Suppose a good soaking in water would be good for increased biodegrading.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Takes quite a long time to break down as does Poo and in some places even human poo can cause some problems with local Fauna eg on McKinley we had to carry everything out including Poo and they even insist you use the approved pottys for that purpose as a condition of getting the permit.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I can't recall ever being taught to burn loo roll. The concept just seems alien to me when all you need to do is bury it. Of course, using the obligatory single sheet only rule (drummed into me from sailing old yachts) makes for an easy dig (assuming you have either a trowel or an acolyte to dig for you) :) Special places like the Cairngorm plateau are a different matter though, I would just bring it home.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
poo degrades pretty quickly if it is deposted in the top layers of active good soil. However ericious moors where the soil low nutrient too much poo will change the flora. This happens in places where there is alot of dog walkers. Meat eaters have rich poo. I burn toilet paper when it is going into damp soil, or bag it. My son nearly caused a grass fire by the wind catching the paper and landing on dry grass. It was a deep dug latrine he didnt even need to burn it.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Never heard of burning loo roll myself, but I suppose it makes sense if there's heavy traffic in otherwise delicate environments.

The photo in the OP's link is of the school just along the road from me. That was a terrible fire that started 5 miles away and stayed 5 miles on the other side of the hills for a few days, until the wind got up from the north, then it covered 5 miles in as many hours, it took out 14k sq of great hill ground habitat and wildlife. Even now looking out the window there are still lots of black patches where the heather was, all set in a sea of green ever expanding bracken.

April was cold but very very dry here and when it's dry like that there really isn't anywhere safe to have a fire. With little spring growth all the ground was still covered with the previous seasons dead foliage dried off on a stiff easterly, that made the place a veritable tinder box.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Takes quite a long time to break down as does Poo and in some places even human poo can cause some problems with local Fauna eg on McKinley we had to carry everything out including Poo and they even insist you use the approved pottys for that purpose as a condition of getting the permit.

Must be the difference in climate. And the difference for buried stuff. Left on top of the ground both the poo and the paper will disappear entirely after the first heavy rain (which is almost daily this time of year) That said, it's poor manners to leave it on top of the ground anywhere others will happen along so I only do that in the true back country.

As for the rules on Denali (the real name for Mt McKinley) well it's necessary there just because of the sheer number of vistors. Same with other high traffic areas such as Mt Shasta.

Remove a sod of soil with your shovel, defecate in hole. Place sod of soil back the same way you took it out and no one will ever know you left something behind.
Alternatively do what most special forces do and take anti dsyentry tablets to stop you going.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
OR if ever in Africa...
  • dig a hole in sand
  • drop 'the business' in said hole
  • Fill hole and cover with more sand
  • Wipe bum with fresh sand and more fresh sand until clean ( :Wow:this won't hurt a bit after a little practice!). The night time beetles will clean up the sands for you.

Job done & no paper to flutter about out on the waste lands
tip- always use your left hand btw ... and just in case it slips your mind, it is always a good idea to carry a bottle of alcohol gel and use before cooking.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE