(Beginner) Ash Bark Basket/Container (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I missed this thread first time round :eek:
Really impressed :D

Bark baskets make great tool holders, everything from sharps to gardening stuff, and they're also very sound for flints too :cool: I use one to store reedmace heads in....stacked upright so that they don't explode into fluff.

We're having a dearth of pine resin around here too just now, but I have a small stash of uncleaned stuff that I could be persuaded to share if no one nearer you offers some for you to work with.

atb,
Toddy

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Thanks Toddy :)

The pitch sounds lovely, and very kind, but I should just get out and get finding some! No doubt I'll update here as I polish these off.

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
These are brilliant - such an exciting way to make containers. The photographs illustrate them really well, showing all the steps and pitfalls that you've encountered.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great Stuff Androo, liking the process of the learning displayed. Bark containers are fun.
Its about time I made some more, the willow bark I was working with last night was just falling off with the extra sap.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Great to see this, Have made a couple of birch barks in the past, got a nice felled Ash at the Woodland , may have to have a go at these :)

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I'm impressed with the responses to this thread :)

Thanks for the comments, but I'm way of getting these 'down' - the bark takes months to really properly dry, when it's final shape settles. I'm tempted to leave one without a rim, and see if leaving the rim off while the bark dries makes a significant difference to how snugly the rim fits...

There will be more pitfalls I'm sure, and seeing as though this thread has received the attention it has then I will definitely keep it updated. I'm eager to try these with other barks, Oak is one that keeps calling me, but unsure of it's abilities in this type of basketry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE