Very Rare Tree - Sorb Tree of Wyre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
For the tree lovers here, there is a very rare tree with an interesting history tucked away in the middle of the Wyre Forest which is known as the Sorb Tree or Whitty Pear Tree. Apparently every tree of that particular species growing today in the whole of the UK is descended from one single old tree (though I believe it is more common outside the UK). Originally there was an old tree growing on the same spot as the one today which was thought to be the last remaining tree of it’s kind, it was burned down through a grudge but fortunately prior to it’s demise a local took some cuttings from that old tree which survived. Therefore it is said that every tree of that species growing today is descended from the cuttings taken from that one last surviving old tree, how true this is I don’t know but if so it makes it a very rare tree indeed. Here is a link telling the account of that trees history http://www.wbrc.org.uk/WORCRECD/Issue 15/sorb_tree.htm and here is a photo of present tree (taken last winter so not shown in leaf unfortunately)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
'Wild Service Tree' maybe..............I think the latin name has sorbas, sobus or something like that in it. Maybe in the 'acer 'family.............and yes i'ts very rare. I's a very specific tree that has to have the right soil and absolutely the right conditions. The wood was used for crossbow stocks. I've found 3 at Shotover Country Park in Oxfordshire.
Was decimated for it's hard tight grain but the tree has to have specific conditions to grow. Anyway I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about..............Bears a fruit which is a bit sherberty!!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Certainly some sort of Sorbus. They are a difficult group.

Ah, apparently it is a Sorbus domestica, or True Service Tree. Very rare indeed. Not the same as Wild Service Tree, Sorbus torminalis.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
'Wild Service Tree' maybe..............I think the latin name has sorbas, sobus or something like that in it. I've found 3 at Shotover Country Park in Oxfordshire.

it is the ''True Service Tree'', latin name is Sorbus Domestica, often called Whitty Pear. some cuttings taken from the original tree at Wyre Forest have been planted at various locations with limited success and this includes specimens at Botanical Gardens in Oxford (don't know about Shotover Park), it is very difficuilt to get seeds to germinate and cuttings have been a little more sucessful. The tree is very rare indeed and has an interesting history.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Damned good one for the book. You are though responsible for me adding another one to my wish list! I have two wild service trees and other sorbus members at the homestead, but not a true service tree. I do like the idea of making wine from the fruit. That would be an exclusive tipple!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Damned good one for the book. You are though responsible for me adding another one to my wish list! I have two wild service trees and other sorbus members at the homestead, but not a true service tree. I do like the idea of making wine from the fruit. That would be an exclusive tipple!

it would cetainly make a very nice addition to any homestead, the Romans made a drink from it's fruit called ''Cevevisia'' from which the name ''Service'' derived, a brew made from the fruit was also once added to Mead to enhance flavour, i imagine it's a fruit that is hardly ever used nowadays because of it's rarity so would indeed make a very exclusive tipple, it would certainly be a conversation piece and unusual addition to any wine rack, the timber is very good as well being particularly fine-grained and hard and was used for screws for wine presses and gears and cart wheel hubs and rims etc. I will be checking the tree again to see how it fruits this year and may post some photos of developments.

PS -- The tree's status is critically endangered and on the Threatened Plants database of the Botanocal Society i believe so am delighted to take responsibility for adding it to anyone's wish list.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Developments would be great - I'd love to see pictures of bark, leaves, fruit and flowers. Happy to reciprocate as my baby wild service trees grow (they are only about 3' at the moment but leafing nicely!). I really ought to photograph some of our less usual trees to document their progress - we have a few interesting ones such as whitebeam, alder buckthorn, holm oak etc. Mostly just saplings as I clear the older weed ash and elder - we want to keep a mature canopy but gradually grow in more unusual specimens and remove the weed trees. Got a rather nice little black mulberry to plant out as soon as I make space for it!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey Joonsy - there is more information on this link

http://www.wondersofbritain.org/

(click the link for "Appled Ash" under Nennius wonders of Britain)

"Near the river, which is named the Guoy, apples are found upon Ash trees in a sloping woodland [or pass], at the mouth of the river."[SUP]1[/SUP] These marvellous trees apparently grew somewhere near the mouth of the River Wye (the Gwy[SUP]2[/SUP]). Marc Hampton has suggested, plausibly, that this is the True Service Tree*[SUP]3[/SUP], which does, indeed, have leaves like the related Mountain Ash, and bears Apple-like fruits (sorbs)[SUP]4[/SUP]. In the past these have been used to make a cider-like drink*.
The tree still grows in this area[SUP]5[/SUP], but is rare. Notably, it seems that the tree is competed-out of normal woodland, and only thrives on very steep limestone slopes* where other trees have difficulties.
Read more about the Science and Myth of this Wonder, or some Visit Details.

I have found a grower too - European but according to the limited research out there, is little or no genetic difference.

As a brewer and beekeeper, you can guess where this is going I'm sure!

Thank you for the fascinating pictures and links.....I'll let you know how they get on!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
it is the ''True Service Tree'', latin name is Sorbus Domestica, often called Whitty Pear. some cuttings taken from the original tree at Wyre Forest have been planted at various locations with limited success and this includes specimens at Botanical Gardens in Oxford (don't know about Shotover Park), it is very difficuilt to get seeds to germinate and cuttings have been a little more sucessful. The tree is very rare indeed and has an interesting history.

Ah right - True service tree then. The one's i've seen at Shotover are wild service trees and also quite rare. Very slow growing.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hey Joonsy - there is more information on this link

http://www.wondersofbritain.org/

(click the link for "Appled Ash" under Nennius wonders of Britain)

I have found a grower too - European but according to the limited research out there, is little or no genetic difference.

As a brewer and beekeeper, you can guess where this is going I'm sure!

Thank you for the fascinating pictures and links.....I'll let you know how they get on!

Thankyou very much British Red for supplying that link, very interesting and by clicking on the ''Science/ Myth/Visit Details'' links i have gained some more info, cheers. I wish you every success with propagation and no doubt you will eventually be rewarded with a most unusual fireside tipple, it sounds like you have some lovely tree specimens already growing (Holm Oak etc as mentioned in your earleir post) and are on your way to a very fine collection of trees indeed. Glad my post has brought something positive to the forum, best of luck with the planting/beekeeping and as you are a brewer hope you are on your way to a whole new addition to your recipes.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi British Red, would it be possible to make a hedge out of the sorbus domesticus? I looked online and the tree grows pretty tall, but I would like to have an unusual tree for a medium height hedge and I believe it will tolerate up to -20 c which is great for our climate. if it was kept cut back to form a thick hedge would it still blossom and produce fruit?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would hate to be definitive about it TH, but I think it would certainly be worthy of inclusion in a mixed hedge - wild service trees (sorbus torminalis) are certainly used as a hedge plant

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Oh, that is great, I have found a supplier in France who sells plugs of 40 cms, I may buy a few and mix them up with other species. I would love to have hawthorn too but not sure it tolerates our up to -20c winters. Thanks for the advice anyway :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hawthorn should be fine Tawny - its been down to -15C and below here - no damage at all (and that was young hedge plants only in the ground for a couple of months so they were not deeply rooted)

Oh - and Joonsy - now see what you have gone and made me do :D

True Service Tree by British Red, on Flickr

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What a great thread! I hope you'll post the progress on this one in the future, BR.................atb mac

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Happy to Mac

I must do a thread to show our tiny arboretum some time....here is one of the young Wild Service Trees as it fits in with the "sorbus" theme

Wild Service Tree by British Red, on Flickr

I know I'll never get to see them - but I'd rather plant some for future generations than be a whinger who complains about tree loss and does nothing about it!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hawthorn should be fine Tawny - its been down to -15C and below here - no damage at all (and that was young hedge plants only in the ground for a couple of months so they were not deeply rooted)

Oh - and Joonsy - now see what you have gone and made me do :D

True Service Tree by British Red, on Flickr

Hello BR, thanks for the update, that's fantastic, crikey you didn't hang about with the sourcing and supply :) the leaves are quite different to the wild service tree aren't they, hope it roots and survives well for you. Nice to see someone ''actually'' taking action for future generations, it was indeed that attitude that ensured future generations of people could see the trees growing today related to that old single wyre forest tree, therefore the person who took those cuttings from that old wyre forest tree saving it's demise is in effect responsible for me posting this thread which in turn lead to you obtaining your own specimen, that is how that attitude has a very positive effect for many many years way beyond the instant gratification sought by some.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - I certainly only sourced these having read you post and the associated links! I bought two in the end (sourced from France - well rooted young trees, in great condition). Two because I didn't know if they are self fertile but also so we can claim credit for one each :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE