Do I need a dedicated laptop rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have too many bags, I fear they are breeding!

But I have decided to carry my laptop in a rucksack...However I do not have a special laptop one.

I have the laptop in a padded sleeve.

My idea is to use my army radio Bergen, a bulky heavy thing, but it opens out like a book. the laptop will strap snugly in. (I plan to alter the straps for ease of use.)

Is this a good idea or risky to the machine?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I don't know about your bergan however I have carried laptops in an old Berghaus Munro, there were no laptop sleeves when I started doing this so I made a padded case out of cardboard, bubblewrap and gaffa tape. This arrangement suffered much abuse with no damage to the laptops.

:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bubble wrap and duct tape, knock up a sleeve and bung the laptop in your ordinary rucksack...dedicated laptop rucksack...what will they think of trying to sell us next:rolleyes:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Depends on how good your sleeve is and how expensive your laptop is too. Mine is worth next to nawt but still use a laptop pack that traded for on here. They have inbuilt straps and padding aswell as a stiff back. Used to use an old say sack but it offered no protection and was a pain to get the laptop in and out each time. Do this a lot all day as a field enginner.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a 'Crumpler' laptop rucksack which is very well designed and has a removable laptop sleeve that slides into a padded compartment in the back, I'd recommend one of those if you want to go that way, they are pricey new but are often to be found on eBay.

They are very tough and very well made (apart from the pulls on the zips, those break off sometimes and must be replaced with paracord).

"...I fear they are breeding!.."

It is true, they do.

:)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got a spare RCN (Royal College of Nursing logo) padded laptop shoulder bag you can have for free Tengu, PM me if you want it, much like this

case-logic-laptop-shoulder-bag-17-3-vnci-217.png

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks for the offer, but I have two nice laptop bags already.

I wouldn't be without them, however I need kit space as well.

The Radio bag is a heavy MOD nuisance, but it has lots of space inside; a pouch on the back, and two rocket packs.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've kept all kinds of laptops in regular rucksacks just in a padded sleeve. I always put them flat up against the back and put something soft between them and anything pointy and have never had a problem. Your radio Bergan sounds cool, I'd like to see what that looks like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE