Cooking over an open fire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Ogri the trog said:
Baked potatos... scoop out a hollow and crack an egg into the hole, return it to the fire for a few minutes - magic.
...snip...
Next comes the apples, any sort will do. Remove the core (ally tent poles were made for this job) then stuff the middle with raisins and brown sugar. Cook like the spuds mentioned earlier, wrapped in foil. Oh boy they taste good.

We used to do similar things in the gas oven at home, and now I do these on an open fire in springtime or late summer.

Apples stuffed with brown sugar and raisins.
Spuds, the bigger the better, thicker the skins the better. Slice the top off, and hollow out, a big spud, fill with a raw egg (mix up yold and white) with a few slivers of cheese, and a bit of salt and pepper. Fit the lid back on with slivers of wood and bury into hot, white ashes at the edge of a fire. Ready in around 40 minutes.
Big onions, with thick skins, buried like this and baked become deliciously sweet.
Whole eggs, with shell left on, buried the same but in ash a little cooler will come out like hard-boiled eggs.
Bananas are great like this.

Breakfast on Gunung Agung was eggs and bananas cooked like this in volcanic sand.

Keith.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
an aussie cousin gave us a tip,2-3 year ago. use a 10mm metal plate 2x1 feet between rock,s each side of the fire. you can eat of it and clean it with a newspaper then burn clean,poach fish in newspaper,roast vegs in tf and olive oil.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
My grandfather never took much with him when he was in the woods. He liked to travel light.

My grandfather's recipe for baking fish over an open fire:

Build up a good sized fire and let it go to white ash. Fillet your fish (he preferred trout - I like walleye - fillets shouldn't be too thick) and salt and pepper them.

Hang your fillets over a hazel (or whatever) branch. By the time the fire has gone to white ash the fillets should be dry on the outside.

Rest your fillets on the ash - check occassionally using a green stick - when you start to see brown spots - turn the fillet - check again for brown spots. When you see them - the fish is done. Blow off the ash (as the outside of the fillet was dry - not much will adhere) - and eat. Makes for moist succulant fish.

You can also use this method with meat, though it is a little harder to tell when it is done.

Roasting venison shoulders or haunches:

This requires a base camp and some one who cares to stay around to watch the meat.

Build up a decent size fire (larger than your average cooking fire). Hang the shoulder off to the side of the fire on piece of wire (from a tree branch or tripod). When the fire is still in flame, push the meat over into the flame and carmalize the outside meat (burn it black). Ease the meat back to the side of the fire - far enough away so it slow cooks - and let it cook for four or five hours. You will have to turn the meat, at intervals, so each side gets even heat. Feed the fire as needed. Venison should be eaten rare. If done right, the shoulder cooks in its own juices and is so good it needs no salt - or anything else.

I can do this over a campfire, but have had much less luck doing it on the barbeque at home.

After cooking venison in this manner, I've had many people tell me it was the best meat, bar none, they'd ever had in their lives.

PG

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
You can cook chicken breasts quite successfully by making a spit (two Y shaped sticks either side of fire, and a spit scross them) of peeled green wood and impale the breasts on it. Position about 1.5 feet above base of fire (if a smallish one) and leave for about an hour turning every 10 mins or so. Any dripping fat fuels the fire. I start over the fire while it is still burning flame and I use sticks with many branches cut off so canlower the spit as the flames die down. I put the chicken on first then do the other food after, normally pasta or what have you, and when you have finished everything else, the chicken should be ready.

It's interesing to note, that the reason that the early peoples in the middle east that became Jews and Muslims didn't eat pork was probably due to the fact that they were nomadic tribes and it is very difficult to cook pork safely over an open fire. Or so soem anthropologists reckon.

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
i spit roast a whole chicken for the best roast chicken ever. just season the chicken inside and out (i carry those small sachets of salt and pepper from cafes). place on the spit and turn it regularly for a couple of hours.

Also i cook trout or mackeral wrapped in layers of wet newspaper and placed directly on the fire. the fish is normally cooked when the top layers get charred.

lovely :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE