shooting glove suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am looking for a pair of unlined leather gloves that have excellent dexterity. I have been looking at shooting gloves because they have the sensitivity and are usually made from good robust leather. I dont shoot at the moment but would like to in the future when family life is a bit more manageable! I am not too bothered with fold back fingers but want the following

-Good quality leather. preferably all leather
-Velcro wrist closure- on the wrist not back of hand to allow putting them inside bigger gloves.
-ability to write, drive, type, basic knots, strip a rifle(most of it anyway) etc

I have been looking at the Bisley plain leather shooting glove and the Hatch sure shot unlined leather glove. they both look good but I am leaning towards the Hatch because they seem a better all rounder and a bit more secure at the wrist.

Any help is much appreciated.

leon-1

Hi mate not exactly what you want but, the gloves that the AAC pilots and loadmasters use are good quality but quite thin and allow for plenty of dexterity, I haven't got a picture of them or I would of posted it, but they may suit your needs.:)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Depends what you want to use them for.
Do you want shooting gloves because they're thin, leather or protective?
When shooting I use all sorts of gloves - none of which are leather but it depends what you want to do.

Cheers

Mark

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Alchemist said:
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am looking for a pair of unlined leather gloves that have excellent dexterity. I have been looking at shooting gloves because they have the sensitivity and are usually made from good robust leather. I dont shoot at the moment but would like to in the future when family life is a bit more manageable! I am not too bothered with fold back fingers but want the following

-Good quality leather. preferably all leather
-Velcro wrist closure- on the wrist not back of hand to allow putting them inside bigger gloves.
-ability to write, drive, type, basic knots, strip a rifle(most of it anyway) etc

I have been looking at the Bisley plain leather shooting glove and the Hatch sure shot unlined leather glove. they both look good but I am leaning towards the Hatch because they seem a better all rounder and a bit more secure at the wrist.

Any help is much appreciated.
How about golfing gloves?? Just don't know if you can get right hands!!?!! :p

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I'm with buckshot on this one ........ it depends what you will be using them for. I wouldn't bother with a thin pair of leather gloves as they won't provide any insulation and will just go soggy and saggy when wet.

I'd recommend the Barbour neoprene gloves. Warm when wet and if you need dexterity then you can fold back some of the fingers and thumb.

If you're looking for a thin pair of gloves for variable weather in summer then I'd just suggest a pair of thin merkalon gloves or the thin fleece variety with grippy palms. They are surprisingly warm but still let you feel everything (plus if you are moving over rough ground they let your hands breath/wick so you are less likely to get sweaty palms! :) ) and they are thin enough to wear with other bigger gloves should the need arise.

As for hatch gloves I've got a pair of Hatch CQB gloves but only really use them for army stuff as they are a bit of an over kill for day to day country shooting (they're made out of super-duper flame/heat and knife slash resistant kevlar fabric :rolleyes: ) ........ unless of course you accidentlay stumle across a secret terrorist training camp whilst out rough shooting :D !

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
To elaborate a bit more I am looking for a more general purpose type glove that will do the harder chores as well as provide dexterity. I am Ex Army so a good comparison would be to say that I am looking for a decent alternative to gloves contact. Because I am a big bloke I have little problem producing warmth but protection from the elements is a must.
I have been looking at leather because it is thin and dextrous, it moulds to your hand, it has reasonable protection from the elements and because leather gloves can be slipped inside bigger Goretex fandagli gloves when things are really bitterly cold. In my brief stint in the Army I rarely put on anything more than the gloves contact even on some of those delightful places in Wales.
I want a work glove to wear during harder physical exertion that stops the elements turning you hands the wrong colour. What I want that the gloves contact dont offer is better wind/waterproofing.
The majority of wear will be during nice long walks in the hills where I need to keep the nip off of the hands. Most of my fiddly tasks will involve writing and general campcraft

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
I'd agree with Leon, I have a pair of aircrew gloves, fairly thin leather, keep the nip off but not too hot, excellant for dexterity.

They are more common in an ivory colour, but mine are good old army green.

Search evilbay for aircrew gloves - loads on their at the moment

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
How about these combined with a leather shell for harder tasks (the US army D3A gloves would be suitable but not sure where to get them in the UK).

How about these. Best of both worlds?

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Alchemist,

I've had a pair of these for a number of years in olive green.

http://www.coatsandhats.com/item6433.htm

I've actually cut the wrist elastic away and shrunk them to my hands (by the usual army methods :) )

I find they are extremely robust, but you can do very fine finger motor skills with them.

Disadvantages: Don't like water, no velcro fastening (although the wrist elastic is ok (if you don't cut it off)

Advantages: Robust, thin enough to do fine work, thin enough to allow you to put on second layer.

Pablo

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've got a pair of Sealskinz gloves that I'm very happy with. They're warm, dexterous, wind and water proof, but they don't have a velcro closure. I can't yet vouch for their durability, but they are endorsed by Glencoe Mountain Rescue team who were apparently given some to test to destruction - without success. They're also endorsed by some chubby bloke called Mears... ;)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
you could try the hellstorm gloves from blackhawk, not lather but i hear good things, i think outdoorcode stocks them but you might need to PM him for details as im not sure if they are on his site!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Alchemist,
I'm going to throw my vote in with those that recommend aircrew gloves. Like you, I have big hands, so I think it'll take a while to find a pair that fit, but the wait will be worth it. Use them with the issued silk liners and they'll be everything you need - light, dexterous and warm. You can use leather treatment that will help to showerproof them but you wont ever get them waterproof. If you need gloves for working in very wet environments, go for a pair of Barbour (or similar) neoprene jobs.
I find that once I have started to do manual work outdoors, I don't need the gloves once I have warmed to the task, so they get taken off before getting too sweaty and hence too cold.
My old aircrew gloves have been past their best for a few years now and I need some replacements, but it will be a hard job bettering their performance.

ATB

Ogri the trog

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Alchemist
Here's an alternative if you don't fancy aircrew gloves, they're by Browning, hence the deer head logo.
myknife002.jpg

I've used them for about the last 4 seasons and they are good. Very sensitive and secure, not very warm, but they keep the windchill off. Also popular with shooters are Dents gloves.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I think I might just have to jump in and buy a reasonable pair from an established name like browning. The only thing I dont like about those gloves is that the velcro is on the back of the hand, not the wrist. If anyone could point me towards those aircrew gloves I would be interested.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Gloves are tricky and i've yet to find a pair I really like.

A friend of mine had a pair of USAF gloves made of 'Nomex' - apparently it's fireproof, but I was impressed by the fact they do not impair dexterity much.

I have a pair of fleece gloves with thin leather palms by Berreta. They are quite good. Fold back trigger finger for shooting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE