Another leather bag, and a question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
As I have said elsewhere I have been pretty busy of late but still managed to get some leatherwork in here and there. I made a bag a while back for my iPad but made the mistake of making it fractionally to small to take a magazine or A4 pad as well.

I eventually got round to making one that could hold a magazine, pad and iPad and here it is

9e93a4b4cd3f1bfe56893a7f7aec7525.jpg

Now I tend to finish my projects in wax. I would prefer to finish them with something to make them softer. I have used neatsfoot oil to get a soft finish but find that it stains anything it comes into contact with. Do you oil it then coat it with something else or are there other oils that will soften the leather but not stain stuff it comes into contact with?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Neat bag!! I use Carnauba Crème and not really tried anything else as I love it. I haven't found it staining anything so it must do the trick.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Carnauba Creme is the wax I use. And I agree it is great, gives a good finish and does not stain. It does not soften the leather though. I should probably try oiling the leather then putting the creme on but it just does not feel like it would take over the oil.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
how many coats of carnuba do you use?

I do 3 coats, one where i slather it on and leave is for a couple of mins before wiping off the excess, this seems to penetrate Pretty well. then another 2 coats to build up a decent layer.

There is also resolene which you might try over an already died piece but i have heard of people having mixed results.

Dave

Dave

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Nice bag & nice work. I was told years ago that castor oil will soften leather, not used it though.

Pawprints

May 29, 2013
Sheffield
nice crisp work there ;) if i dont want to use neatsfoot, i just use regular vegetable oil. then carnauba cream. then i finished with super sheen or resolene mixed 50/50 with water

Nice bag.
I second Dreadhead, I have been using veg oil, olive oil to be precise, finishing off with wax which seals it in. Neatsfoot I often find too pungent.

James

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I wouldn't use veg oil or olive oil personally i've had wood go rancid using olive oil to treat, cant see why it would be different with leather.

Just my personal opinion though

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE