Opinel no8 - worth a buy or not

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
sadly not a fan unlike most. One broke on me cutting and it cut into a finger. it was a No8, since then use a leatherman or an issue 1950s clasp knife

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got a number 8 stainless steel garden knife, with the spear point tip. The quality of manufacturing seems to have slipped during recent years, and you may have to do a little modding on one, as out of the box, it may not fold open straight. But for a tenner delivered you cant go wrong. A good trout/bird/ knife.

Last edited:

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
my first knife as a scout, love them, prob still got it somewhere but no idea where. looking to get another myself sometime soon. best knife i can think of for practicality of a folder.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Only thing annoying is how the wood can swell making the blade stick and hard to release at times, a hard knock doesn't always work.

Yep, one of the reasons I don't carry one any more.

One of the other reasons is it can go the opposite way and have no blade friction at all and the blade open up in my pocket!

Still love them though. :)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Yep, one of the reasons I don't carry one any more.

One of the other reasons is it can go the opposite way and have no blade friction at all and the blade open up in my pocket!

Still love them though. :)

I had the same problem with the blade of my N°6 opening in my pocket, and I got a couple of finger-stick injuries from that. I tried keeping it in a slip case, tried a rubber band or a lanyard to hold it shut...

Then I had a flash of inspiration: I popped off the locking ring, filed off a little bit, and then it would lock shut, as well as open.

I can't be the only person to have thought of that, and probably I wasn't the first, because Opinel modified the design of the ring to incorporate that feature. I've not found the date of that design change, but it seems to have happened about 1995 or 1996.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I had the same problem with the blade of my N°6 opening in my pocket, and I got a couple of finger-stick injuries from that. I tried keeping it in a slip case, tried a rubber band or a lanyard to hold it shut...

Then I had a flash of inspiration: I popped off the locking ring, filed off a little bit, and then it would lock shut, as well as open.

I can't be the only person to have thought of that, and probably I wasn't the first, because Opinel modified the design of the ring to incorporate that feature. I've not found the date of that design change, but it seems to have happened about 1995 or 1996.

Yep I did that too, also before they did the change - still found it could happen, although less frequently.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I feel the best thing about the Opinel is their thin blades which are great for slicing and peeling, and easy and fast to get them sharp, when goes dull. They stay sharp for long time though.
But for any type of heavy duty works, such as chopping and splittings involved, I would go with fixed blades with thicker spine.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
I had a large Opinel (no. 12 I think) for the last nearly 20 years and it was and still is a very robust, quite heavy knife. I like it a lot. However, the folding mechanism does indeed tend to get harder to handle by the time. Some oil might help there.
Recently I got a new no. 8 outdoor knife. Although I haven't tried it out in the woods a lot yet, I am fairly impressed with the quality for the money. It's very light weight, locks nicely and cuts into wood like hell, in particular with the serrations, which surprised me a bit. Also the handle is made of a kind of plastic, so there is no danger of swelling wood and blocking the folder mechanism.

Having said that, I would never take the Opinel into the woods as my only knife. It's meant to be my 2nd backup (apart from a Mora).

Bengis

May 29, 2013
United Kingdom
Seminal knives, I carry #9 at all times in back pocket, really not so different from an 8. I first came across it when working as a chef with numerous french staff, who invariably carried #5's ! and as oldtimer mentioned previously, many had been used during the war!!! etc. Flat ground blade, sharp as sh*t, easy to maintain and keep that way.
One more thing, particularly with the carbon steel (one of many reasons over inox!!) with the blade closed it makes a cracking, ergonomic strike for your flint!!! Love 'em!!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
it can be an issue

solved it on mine by turning the nailnicks into scagel holes

P1000478.jpg

Hey Corso. Is there any chance you could show some detailed pix of that double-bladed Opinel you posted pix of above please? In particular the locking ring end and how the blades lay beside each other. Thanks buddy.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have owned one for about 12 years and it is still going strong the No8 is very versatile, I also have a No 6 they are so easy to put a edge on.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have a #8 stainless and a #6 carbon. Great knives. Probably carry and use them more than any other knife. So value for money is excellent. Sharpen and take an edge beautifully (especially the carbon) and as stated by others great for skinning, food prep, and a multitude of other tasks. Also great to have in your pocket when you visit friends who's kitchen knives are as sharp as a rolling pin and do some work in their kitchen. Has saved many a meal. I know that we're not supposed to carry a locking blade but I hope as a sensible chap in his 40's that I won't be done for having it in my pocket. I live in the country and the cops seem to be more understanding on that front. (Would still leave it at home if I went to a pub or somewhere like that - but that never happens). And as others have said, a minute with a pair of pliers will take off the locking ring if you're desperate.
Classic knife that we should all try at sometime.

Cheers,
GB.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Love em. I have a no6 that i've had almost 15 years, and recently got a no9 to act as a casual food prep knife both at home and out. Use it almost every day - today I took it to the park to slice water melon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE