Best Sub £50 Hatchet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Use the same sharpening method but put a layer of foam under the sandpaper.

morning guys, Thanks for the replies.

I probably should have mentioned I've had about 15 years experience using axes as I spent my life from the age of 6 onwards in Scouts. I've still got the skills at using everything from a hatchet upwards. but We never used anything smaller, nor anything different than cheaper wooden hafts. it was back in my scouting days I first spotted the Gerber sport

and as for that sharpening, that guide £5 guide is for knives isn't it? as he's also done a specific axe guide

come the suggestions coming tho. :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
morning guys, Thanks for the replies.

I probably should have mentioned I've had about 15 years experience using axes

come the suggestions coming tho. :)

Why are you asking us for advice then lol ;)

and as for that sharpening, that guide £5 guide is for knives isn't it? as he's also done a specific axe guide

Perfect for an axe so long as you keep on top of it. A ding will need a file first but they are peanuts too.

As for the Gerber axe i have had a play with one. I didnt like the feel of it at all, the balance was poor due to the hollow handle and the grind was not good.

leon-1

There's a lot out there to choose from.

Steel, the Estwing Sport Axe. A very good little axe, but the head may be a bit slim for splitting larger rounds. They are very strong and the steels on the ones that I have come across and owned has been very good. A swine to grind.

Fiskars, I have three fiskars type axes, the really small one (X5), the older version of the X7 and a very old version of the X17. The oldest one is the original version of the X17 and I have had it a long time, it cost all of £6.99 when I bought it. It has been abused for over ten years and it's still going strong. The X7 type hatchet punches above it's weight, it's very good at splitting, I have been using it for about 18 months, it was second hand as the previous owner couldn't get used to the balance of it. If you can get used to it they are actually very good.

Norlund, rare as rocking horse poo, but if you can get a good one that's not been abused they are a very good little hatchet.

Vaughan Hatchet. The prices on these have rocketed in the last so many years, they had been no more than £11 to buy from Axminster, they now cost £30 or more. The Vaughan will need a bit of work to setup the edge properly, but once done they are again a very good tool.

Of all of the above I actually prefer the Norlund, but I also use Tomahawks and full sized axes as well. Don't write off the Estwing, it had to have something running for it as it was in the RAF survival packs for years.

The Fiskars are good, but if you want a nicely balanced axe then this is not the tool for you. They are probably however the best splitter out of the hatchets that I have mentioned.

Norlund, you want an old one and they are increasingly difficult to get. You'll probably have to rehandle it and make a mask for it. It'll be expensive.

Vaughan, a good tool that really needs a bit of work to reprofile. Not the cheapest out there, but they have a lot of potential.

geordie_ben

May 21, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I need the advice as although I've used them for years, they were only ever cheapos that Scouts couldn't break, I was never involved in the purchase of them so wouldn't know what to look for specifically, and I've been out of Scouting now for about 6 years and no doubt things have changed since then

And, I see what you mean about the sharpening. £5 kit here I come :)

And thanks for all that info Leon, I had been checking out the Fiskars X range, as they seem very much the same as the Gerber axes

I think I'm going to rule out steel hafts and stick with either wooden or fiskar style plastic.... hmm decisions decisions lol

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when i chose an axe i got the GB small forest axe but having used it i wished i had got the hand axe, its almost the same but the slightly smaller hatchet is more convenient but thats just for me,you can also use it knife style and baton with it, but time over would choose the hatchet...:)

or to put a spanner in the works, how about a large knife, good for limbing and splitting wood, good all round tool, have a look at the army issue survival knife...:) good for £40...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I need the advice as although I've used them for years, they were only ever cheapos that Scouts couldn't break, I was never involved in the purchase of them so wouldn't know what to look for specifically, and I've been out of Scouting now for about 6 years and no doubt things have changed since then

Nowt wrong with the cheapo's they did the job, lasted, and if looked after would probely do an even better job, when people see and use the axe from Toolsation for under a fiver they can not belive it, dont get fooled in to the your in to bushcraft so need this type of axe..... nowt much changes in axes... not much to change, just the designers/makers logo just like the most things that are the have to be had from any shop....

As you so pointed out, the cheapos can be abused, wait till someone digs your nice new expensive axe in the ground..... or you could say no to someone borrowing it....

I ve been using wet and dry for years to sharpen blades with, no need for all this wetstone/oil stone ... its all hype, just learn how to do it, and you'll see the difference in how they cut

Last edited:

geordie_ben

May 21, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Defs not complicating matters with a knife! haha

And cheers Stu, just need to have a go at sharpening.. never done it before. I've got a very old beaten up axe to try it on... I'll probably end up with something that resembles a metal and wooden cotton bud haha

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I need the advice as although I've used them for years, they were only ever cheapos that Scouts couldn't break, I was never involved in the purchase of them....

Ironicly way back when I was a Scout, we all chose and bought our own cutting tools (axes/hatchets as well as knives) Equally ironicly, the official Scout axes and hatchets (complete with BSA and Fleur de Lis logo) was the Plumb brand; not at all cheap or cheaply made.

I have two Plumbs old now that I got off ebay last year (one is a nice double bit) They're still waiting patiently for me to refinish and rehaft them.

leon-1

And thanks for all that info Leon, I had been checking out the Fiskars X range, as they seem very much the same as the Gerber axes

And so they should, Gerber is a Fiskars Company, you'll also find that they make the Plastic handled Wilkinson Sword hatchets and axes.

In many ways it's a shame as Fiskars were one of the best kept secrets going and as a result the tools they made used to be really cheap to buy (unless you were buying scissors).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE