My first hammocking experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geordie_ben

May 21, 2013
Newcastle, UK
After being seduced by my mates Hennessy Hammock I decided I wanted to give hammocking a go too

I went for the Highlander Nomad, a 1/4 of the price of the HH, but still just as decent.

I was like a kid at Christmas waiting for my hammy to arrive!

My aim for the trip was to pack as light as possible, only taking the bare essentials. I managed to cram everything into a 20l daysack

My kit consisted of:

Nomad Hammock
MicroDot sleeping bag
Mountain Equipment self inflating roll mat
Highlander travel pillow
Fiskars X10 axe
3.5" folding Buck knife
2 head torches
1 hanging LED light
Folding saw
Lighter

I had food and drink on top, but equipment wise I managed to keep it pretty light

We found a pretty sweet spot by the river, was a little pocket surrounded by blue bells.

I managed to get the hammy up in about 5 minutes, and then tweaked it slightly.

Once the kit was ready we got a little fire sorted, opened the drink (cider for me, gin and tonic from a mess tin for him), and got some food on the go.

After not being out in the wild for a while it was nice just to relax by a fire again. Even the midgies didn't seem too bad, tho I'm itching as I type this!

We finally retired to our hammocks and I have to say I was very impressed as to how comfy it was, also how warm I was. I can certainly say I'm now converted to hanging instead of tenting.

The only tweaks I need to make are making sure my roll mat is positioned properly, as it ended up stopping just under my shoulder blades and sticking out well past my feet. And other than that, I want to sew in some guy lines to keep the hammy sides out slightly as there was quite a bit of sag

To sum it up it was a great over night stay, cracking weather and two cracking new bits of kit (Axe and Hammock)

I'll put some pics up once I've gotten them uploaded/stolen from my mates camera

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
cant wait too see the pics i have used my hammock a cpl of times & thought it was excellent...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ah ... I thought you had the password wrong as I just copy'd/pasted it into the little box and it didn't work .... it seems you have to actually type it in :) .... YAY can see the pics now. Looks like a nice setup you have there!

Ed

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Hi! thanks for the report1 I'm looking at getting the Nomad so it's good to hear from someone who is happy withit! Have you used it since? Are you still as happy with it?

Which one is your hammock in the pics?

cheers

Neil

geordie_ben

May 21, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Hi! thanks for the report1 I'm looking at getting the Nomad so it's good to hear from someone who is happy withit! Have you used it since? Are you still as happy with it?

Which one is your hammock in the pics?

cheers

Neil

I've not used it since that trip but I was very impressed, apart from the alterations I want to make

Mine is the lighter green one one the right, nearest the hanging axe

And the cider frying pan was a life saver :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE