Cracked leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Got a load of old harness bits

The leather is very cracked.

I assume its not savable, Ill just salvage the fittings.

What do you think?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Got a load of old harness bits

The leather is very cracked.

I assume its not savable, Ill just salvage the fittings.

What do you think?

I'd check they weren't marked WWI military, that chap went fairly explosive when he heard a member had cut up a WWI saddle. You can bring leather back to a degree (did it with my old WWI leather engineers waistcoat) but depends on what you want it to do?
GB

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Use some neats foot on it.....the ww1 saddle I stripped had some cracked bridle bits on it.....but now are belts and a baldric...... before ye asks....it WAS knackerd....and not saveable....lol also....not the one from THAT post..:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You can try Neatsfoot oil, get the pure stuff and not the "compound". Apply it sparingly to the flesh side only, a little at a time, let it soak in and do this as many times as is neccessary..........if you go too quickly at it, it overwhelms the old leather, leave about 24 hrs between sploshes is best, and have it somewhere that's not hot and dry.............move it about as little as possible 'till it gets supple, likewise with strenuous rubbing - wait 'till it gets supple of it's own accord; slow and gentle are your friends here...............hope this helps, atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE