An update on the building of our boat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hello everyone!

Long time, no post from me...:eek:

Here is an update on the progress so far. Building the boat is time consuming, to say the list.

A couple of pictures.

Both sides are at the same stage now, this picture was taken a couple of days before I filleted the left hand side.

Standing on the side to take this pic! The white band in the middle is a off cut of the glass cloth I am going to use to sheath the boat.

As an aside, for those who love old tools, I found this wonderful pair of tailor's shears in an antique place. It needed five minutes to be re-sharpened. I'll be using it to cut the glass cloth. Glass cloth is tough on scissors and this one cuts perfectly. I love old tools! As a bonus, it cost less than 1/2 the price of new ones.

A few stats: 36' long, each sides 3' wide, I estimate the weight of each sides to be about 400kgs. There are about 100' of filleting on each sides and about 400 stainless screws and bronze ring nails on each sides. Not really useful to know any of that, but it's interesting...

If you're interested, there are more pictures on my blog, with more on the construction so far.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks for that. Quite a massive undertaking, isn't it? I'll bet you're anxious to finish it and get it in the water. Do you have a time estimate of when that might happen?
And those are large scissors:)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Yes, I will Hugh. It may be a bit hit and miss at times though.

It is a big boat indeed. But on the other hand it is also a very simple hull to build. I use standard, off the shelf plywood sizes, full, 1/2 and 1/4 sheets, standards sized timber and so on. It's all flat and square. Indeed, you could say it's a big plywood box!

I am treating it as if it was a part-time job. I don't spend every hour of the day or week thinking or worrying about it. No, no estimate of when it will be finished:It will be done when it's done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE