Bearclaw Field Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Paganwolf said:
i have just been informed numbers 3 to 8 have arrived and will be in the post tomorrow to their respective mummys and daddies! ;)
Wicked, im going to be a Daddy this weekend and soooo much cheaper on the pocket :D :lmao:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
First Impressions

I received my BFK last week; the first thing that strikes you about this knife is its beauty, both in terms of looks and form. The workmanship of the maker, Gerd Jorgenson is of an extremely high standard, as are the materials used, Sandvik SS1807 high carbon steel and curly birch handle with black liners makes for a very fine looking knife.

All very good but how does the BFK perform?

I had one reservation when ordering this Knife from Bearclaw Bushcraft and that was the handle shape, it looked good but never having owned a knife with this style handle I was concerned how it would work for me. All concerns quickly disappeared after a short while of using the knife with various handgrips, the handle proved quite comfortable and secure in use.

In the hand the knife sits very well, weight, balance and construction are such that the knife performs tasks ranging from fine carving to heavier work with equal ease.

Tasks performed to date.

Food Prep: Not a lot done to date but at 3mm thick the blade is thin enough to prepare root vegetables, cutting them rather than splitting them. I prepped up carrots, potatoes, onions, celery and tomatoes. All easily done with no fuss. No game prep done as yet but I boned out a leg of lamb quite well for a knife designed for bushcraft. After all it’s not a camp knife.

Tasks in the field: Splitting logs up to 3 inches thick with a baton proved no problem, further splitting and then feathering. The feather sticks were easy to make and good curls were produced from the blade.

Pointing cuts to produce a wagan stick were easily made using a series of power cuts into a ¾ inch thick hazel rod.

Finally a bow drill and hearth was constructed from hazel and Sycamore, the finer carving of the drill bit and notch of the hearth were produced with very little effort.

When used with a fire steel a good spark shower is produced, the spine of the blade being very square.

Edge retention has been excellent so far with only a stropping required to bring the edge back after two days of hard work.

I have high hopes for this knife in terms of a long term user, the looks of this knife and its ability in the field will I’m sure make this knife a constant companion.

Trials to continue in the field……..

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My BFK has arrived :)

Problem is it is in Germany, and I am in Iraq :(

This may be the first thing I play with when I get home (sorry Mrs Spamel, Oooer!) Please post pictures and such like so I can drool excessivley (sp?)!

Adios!

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Glad everyone who has got theirs are happy although, I AM VERY JELLOUSE I'm waiting for a after 50 one, spose now some have been sent, mines getting nearer :)

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Woo-hoo. #9 arrived this morning. :D
Well worth the wait.

Well done Gary, the design's a classic.
Well done Gerd, the workmanship is 1st class.

Just by handling this blade, the potentials for it's use jump out at me. I've never experienced this before with any other blade. The comfort and shape lends itself to many different cutting methods.

When I get a bit more time to play, I'll write a better report and try to get some piccies sorted out.

Gary, Gerd, :You_Rock_

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE