Dyneema

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
what qualities are you looking for, dyneema is noted for high strength with low weight and low stretch, qualities that make it ideal for some purposes and undesirable for other purposes, depends to what purpose it is put. used in climbing for low weight with high strength but has no dynamic qualities so application in use is critical for safety. http://www.dyneema.com/emea/explore-dyneema/the-dyneema-brand.aspx

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks guys. I'm still learning about the stuff. I think I want to use some for ridgeline and maybe hanging my hammock but I already have whoopies which are dyneema (I think) and can't use it for tree-straps. Is it good for guylines, for tarps? It's the non-stretch along with light weight that's attractive.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Why do you think you need Dyneema? Its only real grace is its light weight.

It isn't a very pleasant material to handle, putting secure knots and splices in it can be a challenge and it doesn't resist heat nor abrasion very well -- especially since it's likely to be thinner than other cordage that might be doing a similar job.

I personally loathe the stuff. Give me nylon paracord any day, and that 's bad enough.

On a small boat, for preference I'd use polyester for things like sheets (you don't want to haul hard with your hands on anything thinner than about 12mm) and if it couldn't be steel wire maybe something with a kevlar core for halyards. Standing rigging would be steel.
You might save a few kilos with Dyneema, but if I get in a boat I'm obviously not in that much of a hurry to get anywhere. :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thanks guys. I'm still learning about the stuff. I think I want to use some for ridgeline and maybe hanging my hammock but I already have whoopies which are dyneema (I think) and can't use it for tree-straps.

It could be good for a ridgeline if you have e.g. tree straps at the ends and you can tension it adequately. How would you do that? Yes, your whoopies might well be Dyneema. It would be terrible for tree straps.

Is it good for guylines, for tarps? It's the non-stretch along with light weight that's attractive.

Generally I think you need a bit of stretch in guy lines. If there's no give when it's windy then something might fail. Possibly you'll just pull out a peg but I've seen tarps and tents rip at the fixings.

Elen Sentier

Why do you think you need Dyneema? Its only real grace is its light weight.

It isn't a very pleasant material to handle, putting secure knots and splices in it can be a challenge and it doesn't resist heat nor abrasion very well -- especially since it's likely to be thinner than other cordage that might be doing a similar job.

I personally loathe the stuff. Give me nylon paracord any day, and that 's bad enough.

On a small boat, for preference I'd use polyester for things like sheets (you don't want to haul hard with your hands on anything thinner than about 12mm) and if it couldn't be steel wire maybe something with a kevlar core for halyards. Standing rigging would be steel.
You might save a few kilos with Dyneema, but if I get in a boat I'm obviously not in that much of a hurry to get anywhere. :)

Ta for that, Ged. I do need to think about the handling - with my claws-for-hands - think I'll wait til I meet some to make up my mind - although ridgeline still attractive, knots may not be! Am thinking about it as I consider making myself an ultralight hammock (from parachute material), and tarp, to go walkies with - can't carry the DD with all my ailments! - so weight is an issue and I have to be a bit of a gram-weenie! Also have to consider money so can't afford the ready-made super-light stuff :)

I don't get into boats !!!

Elen Sentier

For a ridgeline how about this.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98824
i have seen the same setup for sale on eBay.
It includes loop and toggle for one end and two Prussiks with hooks to hold your tarp and a Fig9 to provide tension the other end.
The fact you have a mechanical device to help with tensioning should help you with your hands.

I'd forgot this, saw it before! But I need to get my head around it though. What are the thingies dangling from the prussics? And how does the toggle/loop work? I suspect I need a course!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Loop goes round the tree and toggle passes through to fix one end. The other end you wrap round the other tree and tension with the fig9. Then slide your two Prussiks one each end and hook them to your tarp and tension.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Elen, you could make life very easy for your ridgeline by investing in a dutch fly and a dutch clip. UK hammocks sell them and they require no knots and stay rock solid. For dyneema for your ridge line i would go for 1.8mm stein throwline or marlow 2.0mm. dutch stuff works best with the 1.8. you can also get 1.75mm 'zing it' or 'lash it' from uk hammocks which is fine too

Elen Sentier

Loop goes round the tree and toggle passes through to fix one end.

got that right then - but is it not "ouch" for the tree !!! I usually use tree-straps ...

[/QUOTE]The other end you wrap round the other tree and tension with the fig9. [/QUOTE]
Oh! S**t a brick! that Fig9 is a handy looking thing for claw-hands like mine - off to get a couple!

[/QUOTE]Then slide your two Prussiks one each end and hook them to your tarp and tension.[/QUOTE]

I think I've got it ... tomorrow, if it stops blowing a gale with horizontal rain, I'll go out and give it a try.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Not an issue for the tree really as its only carrying the weight of the tarp and with very little movement where as a hammock is supporting your body weight and just using dyneema would cause bark damage.

As Paul said above the Dutch gear is exceptionally good too and smaller than the Fig9s, just thinking about things being awkward for your hands. With a bit of practise you can tension and fix a fig9 with one hand.
If I knew how to upload a video I would do one for you but I don't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE