Fairly soon I may not even be able to give away seeds of old vegetable varieties

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for your understanding Joel - that is exactly the sort of local activity I want to protect - I am growing plants in my garden from Slowworm, The Big Lebowski and Toddy amongst others. None of them are commercial varieties. It has pleased me in turn to send my parsnip seeds, self supporting bush peas and Cherokee heritage beans to members of the forum.

I feel that this sort of activity is the sort your grandad would understand :)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It seems a right shot in the foot for the common man. You could always kill off all the bees instead just incase removing biodiversity doesn't work in the cull ;)

So your wheat project wouldn't happen again? Tis worrying.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does being a bee keeping, old variety breeding, seed giving guy make me an activist? I've always wanted to be cool......:D

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I think plant and seed bombing is great fun :) I harvest apples from trees and cowslips round here from my mums frenzied sowing in hedgerows, tis a small act of defiance which adds up to a lot over years and is less conspicuous that finding your inner eco warrior!

You are VERY cool, BR :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Trouble with apples from old trees is they don't breed true....you need twigs really!

Last edited:

Joel_m

Jul 31, 2012
Berkshire
A somewhat long email sent explaining why I feel this legislation is bad and the effect it may have on local growers like myself.... Not that it will get read! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Signed.

Almost unenforceable though isn't it?

Are we envisaging hanging around a seedy street corner looking to pick up a bag of the best tulip seeds in town?

Elen Sentier

At least theres some good news on the bee front... I note that the UK contingent switched from abstaining to a nay vote against banning the pesticides. It's good to know we're all listened to, eh?!

That was good, wasn't it, Sal? Even if our idjit voted with his shares :rolleyes:. They know best, they have the money and the power, etc, etc ... roll on the revolution!

I'm still trying to get/find a petition on the builders being able to trash nature reserves - anybody else seen anything?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get the whole lot of 'em dried out and bundled, we can use 'em for kindling.....................................two-faced omadawns, the whole bunch!!!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Random question....

After reading the freeman of the land thread recently, it occurs to me that this does not come under common law, and is in fact commercial law. As such can be ignored..... correct?

Also, who would actually prosecute you? Really cant see you being arrested for giving someone some seeds.

Especially as in the bible (gods law) he gave to man every seed upon the earth. Dont you swear on the bible in court? ;)

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Planned new European laws 'threaten' rare seeds

Proposed regulation threatens rare varieties of cereals, fruits and vegetables planted by farmers and other growers, it has been claimed.
The EC's Directorate General for Health and Consumers says existing laws are outdated and need to be changed.
It will present its proposals to commissioners on Monday.
But Highland grower Agric Hadron and groups such as the Soil Association have concerns that the new legislation will outlaw traditional varieties.
The directorate, which consulted on proposed changes to legislation in 2011, said many of the laws controlling the sale and planting of seeds dated back to the 1960s and 70s.
It said priorities have changed since and the legislation needs to better reflect modern food safety, new technologies and rules on the traceability of food.
The Soil Association believes the proposed new regulation will put the future of plant biodiversity at risk.
Mr Hadron, a grower and seed conservationist in the Black Isle, said it was "fundamentally flawed".
He said it could lead to a situation where it would be illegal for a person to grow vegetables of a strain handed down through their family in their garden.
Mr Hadron added: "While its objective purports to be the protection of legitimate plant breeders' rights, its structure and drafting is indicative of an entirely different purpose: to restrict seed availability to large-scale transnational agribusiness product.
"It should be rewritten with a more constructive and appropriate perspective."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22395970

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It has been around for a while ANgus - and objections raised by the "non industrial" seed producers. Assurances have been made, but the text of the legislation has not improved.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Two things I noticed about the petition linked near the start of the thread

1. It's only got 14,500 signatures since this thread was started a week ago. That's a bit disheartening when compared to the Masaai one that clocked nearly 2 million signatures in 4 days.
2. The petition is not actually being delivered to anyone.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats why I think writing directly to your EU representative is the best idea - bot that I have anything against petitions - but I think a regular stream of e-mails focuses the mind

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE