Drink whiteners, what do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Been thinking about this for a while, just wondering what whiteners everyone uses for their drinks.

I have recently got a taste for real coffee and have got a titanium cafetiere for taking to the woods so I can have a decent drink, on a day trip i just take a small amount of milk but I will be spending a week out soon, so was wondering what the best thing to use. At the moment its a choice between coffeemate or those UHT pots (hotel room style) that can be got quite cheaply on ebay, just wondered if there are any other options other than taking a cow or drinking it black.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Condensed milk in the squeezy tube. Sweetens it as well as whitening it.
Plus in proper coffee it tastes creamy.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Nido milk powder is the best milk powder available

I trained myself to drink black coffee about a year ago for this very reason, white coffee tastes weird now!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have a taste for real coffee - take it black and unsweetened:)
Milk and sugar weigh heavy, milk can go off, creamers are chemical rubbish and all reduce the true coffee experience.
If you cannot do with out your sweet and creamy then tube milk is the best option.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As stated above full fat milk powder tastes the best out of the dried options. Get it at any Indian food store, it's used in producing Indian sweets.
I mix it with coffee and sugar and keep it in a Nescafe Azeera can to make my own '3 in 1' type stuff.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the indian stuff, I find it goes off quite quickly though compared to the usual semi-skimmed powder, you have to use it up fairly soon otherwise it doesn't dissolve in a hot drink.

Nido milk powder is the best milk powder available

Where do you find Nido these days Ben, I've been searching for it for ages

I've tried the condensed milk trick, works quite well in a Coughlans Squeeze-Tube, it's a heavy lump to haul around though. I've pretty much gone back to 3-in-1 now, the "Strong" (probably just less milk powder :)) Nescafe are pretty good

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You get tins of Nido in the bigger Tesco stores, also popular with the Asian community and is stocked in a lot of stores; its full fat so full of flavour.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I just use dried skimmed milk from Asda, Tesco, Morrisons et all.
That's for my cuppa whilst sitting in my van at work. I can't be done with open containers of milk in my van because eventually they spill and spilled gone off milk really stinks it out.

If you put boiling water into it, it curdles, but they all seem to do that unless you mix in a little cold water or fill the flask with hot water before seven AM an then don't have a cuppa till nine or later. That's not a problem cos bait time for me is ten.
By that time the water is cool enough that the dried milk doesn't curdle but easily hot enough for a decent cup of tea, same with the one O Clock bait time as well.
Oh and its cheap.

Never heard of Nido, will keep an eye out for it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Coffee-Mate and sugar or sweetened condensed in coffee.

Black tea, no sugar.

I don't really like coffee, it's just a vehicle for the energy intake. :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Half skimmed milk powder, half coffee whitener or indian full fat milk powder.

Squeezy condensed also tastes v good.

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Another vote for ground coffee, black, unsweetened. As has been said, you taste the coffee rather than what you add to it.

I find that instant coffee is too bitter to drink black. Must be formulated to have the milk added, I reckon. Don't touch it at all these days.

The whiteners are too sweet and fatty for my taste.

Can't stand tea, either, btw!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Either black, tea or coffee, or white or brown sugar, semi skimmed milk for tea, full fat for coffee.
Or get some 3 in 1 coffeee from the pound shop

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just found Nido milk powder on ebay. Can the condensed milk tubes be got in any supermarket or is it only bigger stores, I have looked for it before in a smaller tescos but couldn't find it.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Where do you find Nido these days Ben, I've been searching for it for ages

Got it from my local Tesco, its a big one.

I don't use it very much, mainly for adding to other stuff rather than coffee, like angel delight!

Try using online shopping, might get it that way

Eggy

Nov 18, 2010
Dunfermline
Coffee - black, strong, no sugar.

Tea - strong, no sugar, spot of milk but if I'm feeling nostalgic (and a bit decadent) a bit of evaporated milk like my nana used to make it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE