Microbites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh dear - I find myself agreeing with Rik! - As "Bushcrafters" why are we not just whittling a spoon or chopsticks and a spatula? INSTEAD OF USING SPAWN OF THE EVIL ONES PLASTIC ABOMINATIONS! This kind of thing is the ultimate antithesis of "Bushcraft" (IMHO) as plastic is about as far away from "Bush" material as is possible and there is no sign of "Craft" about them either! Anyone seen using this kind of thing at any camp I organise will not be asked to leave my campfire - they will be thrust bodily into the flames with said tool inserted up the nostrils to stir the brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially if they are using pink ones!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MR Fenna! .....you'll not be eating near me then, because I do use them.

Antithesis of bushcraft ? can you make titanium ? I know how to make a lot of things but I can't make Ti, or iron or steel, or bronze; I can carve wood, but tbh, I'd rather use these when camping. Damp wood stays damp :rolleyes: these are easy care, sook/wipe/put away type personal cutlery :D

M

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

Antithesis of bushcraft ? can you make titanium ? I know how to make a lot of things but I can't make Ti, or iron or steel, or bronze; I can carve wood, but tbh, I'd rather use these when camping. Damp wood stays damp :rolleyes: these are easy care, sook/wipe/put away type personal cutlery :D

M

And they have the added benefit of working in places where you can't find material to whittle a spoon from. I don't have any but they look good so that may change soon. Table manners and cutlery use are interesting topics and I'm a beast for enforcing them at home but suggesting that British table manners must be applied in every situation you find yourself in seems a bit inflexible. If we're going that route why not also insist on linen, silver wear and bone China too? :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

M

Toddy! You shock me! You know my feelings about Ti as well! Plastic and Ti have no place in the woods if viable natural alternatives are available! Especially pink plastic....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a horses for courses thing.
These are simple to use, clean, store, pack away, no fuss no bother. I like my Ti spork and cutlery, but they definitely 'screech' and scrape when used as cooking utensils; these don't. The little spatula/knife thing is truly multi purpose :)

Plastic's just a kind of resin really :D....maybe not 'pink' pink though :)

If pushed to it I can eat with a scrubbed out shell, I can make a clay pot, I can carve or burn out bowls and cups, but for simplicity and tbh, comfort, the microbites are good.

They're more expensive than the sporks though, so I don't think you'll get sent any, but if you get sent any that you don't want, I'd like first dibs on the bartering :cool:

atb,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am sorry for the hijack ... just my personal bias on gear getting the better of me :) Enjoy your plaggy cutlery (even if it makes your grub taste plastic ... everything tastes better of self carved wood :) )

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I am sorry for the hijack ... just my personal bias on gear getting the better of me :) Enjoy your plaggy cutlery (even if it makes your grub taste plastic ... everything tastes better of self carved wood :) )

Nah! I thought we'd established that everything tastes better eaten with silverware off bone China and with linen napkins and table cloth (although I will accept Belgian lace if pushed). After all, standards must be maintained.

:D

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I bought a folding spork made by Primus from Go-outdoors. It rapidly joined all the other failed eating tool experiments and regretted purchases in the drawer of the dresser reserved for them. Only the SAK and self-made wooden spoon have stood the test of time.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I had a set of microbites I used for years until I lost the spoon. I replaced the set immediately and they come with me on every trip. They're that good. While hand made stuff is lovely it makes the difference between 8Kg on my back and 25Kg+ on my back. I like to actually cook even while travelling lightweight, and the microbites can be used to slice food such as bread rolls, as a spatula for frying eggs as well as eating the usual one pot meals. I don't get on with those double ended LMF sporks (which aren't actually sporks). I've broken two of them stirring meals and I find them uncomfortable to hold. The microbites are easy to use, easy to clean, extremely well thought out and functional. Unless you're navigating using a sextant, wearing animal skins and carrying a pack made from bent willow and and hide you're using modern materials. Bushcraft is about being comfortable and at home in nature, not being a slave to old technology. Each approach has its advantages. As they're made from recycled nylon they're also carbon negative, which is more than can be said of virtually all outdoors kit no matter how traditional.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
These are lightweight

t_16155.jpg

http://www.tingatinga.com/cart/product.php?productid=16155&cat=248&page=1

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA

I don't want them in titanium, they don't get hot when used to stir cooked food.

neither does titanium - one of my favourite tools is a long handled titanium spoon (Sea to Summit brand, link)- it is great for cooking because titanium conducts heat so poorly that the handle is cool while I am stirring the pot or scrapping the bottom - I use it all the time cooking at home as well as when backpacking

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I'd like to see you stir soup or fry an egg with those :rolleyes: Feed a toddler though :)

neither does titanium - one of my favourite tools is a long handled titanium spoon (Sea to Summit brand, link)- it is great for cooking because titanium conducts heat so poorly that the handle is cool while I am stirring the pot or scrapping the bottom - I use it all the time cooking at home as well as when backpacking

It does lose heat quickly (why I made a cosy for my Ti mug) but it does get hot, and it scrapes, and though I have a Ti phoon ? (long handled grey spoon thingie) it's truthfully only of much use for pot noodles or rat pack things in bags with that small bowl on the spoon. I don't eat much of either of those. This little set is just so useful for 'all' cooking and eating tasks.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Use your Titanium chopstick to stir the food I thought;) My link is to baby feeders, I got similar in plastic for granddaughter Sophia when she starts feeding herself :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought the chopsticks would work for that, but they don't really. Fine for picking things out of boiling water, turning sausages, fine for eating 'some' things, but on the whole I'd rather have a spoon.

I still have my own silver baby spoon, fork and pusher set :) You don't see pushers now; they were a good way of teaching a child to become familiar with using two pieces of cutlery at once. Those modern ones are appealing though; I can see why you bought a set for your granddaughter.
You could acquire a set of the microbites for your grandson for his camping jaunts with Grandpa :D

M

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I've taken to using an old fiddle pattern silver cake fork, a small wooden spoon (thanks bushcraftbob) and my opinel no8 slim
It works well and I enjoy using it all, but for light weight its just a plastic spoon for me
Atb
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I've taken to using an old fiddle pattern silver cake fork, a small wooden spoon (thanks bushcraftbob) and my opinel no8 slim
It works well and I enjoy using it all, but for light weight its just a plastic spoon for me, do like the look of these though :-D
Atb
Ben

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
the standard spork is naff, made for hobbits. They do make an extra large one which I have found useful, comes in as stirrer, long handled spoon etc. A good size. Only thing is, is every piece of plastic or like cutlery, always ends up broken in 2 pieces. They make a titanium spork in hobbit size, no metallic taste it being titanium, but useless all the same. Have a feeling that the Microbites will end up in pieces too.

I don't usually use cutlery either

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Microbites are much, much tougher than plastic sporks because they're a better design. Each utensil has ridges running down the sides of the handle which makes them nice and rigid. I've snapped two sporks, you can feel them flex easily in your hands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE