Article: Magic biscuits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm making some wax dressing for cotton atm, might try the cardboard/ opened up tampons to wipe out the bowl and utensils afterwards to make life easy and get some firestarters while I'm on the job :) The dressing is 5:1 petroleum jelly to beeswax so I have no idea how well they'll work ;)

Great outcome and polished the bowl up a treat without washing with a polish rag which has worked wonders on my oak spinning wheel... MOST excellent combination of projecting!

Last edited:

joewalton1989

Mar 23, 2013
Leicester
Wilko's is your best bet for the petroleum jelly 55p for 200 ml! It's a damn sight cheaper than tescos.

I did them without candle wax, 5 burned for about ten minutes (with 3 dry cotton wool balls to take the spark)

Only problem was the flame was quite large and unruly and left a layer of soot on the bottom of my pan, the flame also wasn't adequate enough to boil 1/2 litre of water but they are a great starting point for a fire rather than use as a single fuel, in my opinion.

Please note I did attempt to boil the water a month ago in a cold but sheltered area. I may have more luck in the warmer months

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
They are only supposed to be a fire lighting aid not a fuel source.
If you just coat them in Vaseline they remain sticky and are a pain to use. The wax stops this, to light you just open the fibers up and can be lit with a lighter or spark stick. Also the wax keeps them waterproof.

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
spark stick

I like that! :D A simple, effective and no-nonsense term.

I hate it when people mistakenly call them "firesteels", buying into retailer hype. Ferrocium isn't even steel. I've always understool a proper firesteel to be a specially tempered piece of steel used with flint and typically charcloth...

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
As an idea to keep your pan clean, i use an old tin of beans in a little bit of water in a pan, and met the wax - or in this case wax/vaseline mix - in the tin. Afterwards there's nothing to clean and i can throw the tin away if i don't need it any more.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Fire cakes, I got the idea from Decorum he puts some wood shavings into a cake case pours wax over it then sticks a lump of cotton wool on top.

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Great Idea, Paraffin wax also works really well and can be bought very cheaply from beautician wholesalers! I use it with the fluff from the tumble dryer :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE