Birch Oil - Makling and Uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hello matey peeps

Didnt know whether this should come under DIY or Lovely Grub so thought id ignore both and stick it in here.

Ive seen a few videos on the tube for making birch oil. I was wondering if any here have attempted this alchemy. As i understand it its essentially a small pot buried 2/3 in sand or dirt with a large pot on top that contains the birch bark. The larger pot has a small hole in the bottom. The larger pot is then put on the small pot and buried a bit more. Build a nice fire on top for a few hours and the birch oil leeches out into the lower pot resulting in black gold.

The above seems pretty straight forward but i was wondering how safe the resulting oil is for skin use and whether it has other uses. Was thinking birch tar soap or similar or maybe a tincture mixed with high proof spirit.

Mrs Thrills has ye olde eczema on her little hands but is wary of using steroid creams as she doesnt want 'old lady hands'.

Any advice greatfully received ta

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi BareThrills, heres a link to birch oils which may shed some light for you. http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential-oils/birch.htm

The method you discribe above is dry distillation in which you will get Birch Tar from Birch bark, which was used as an antiseptic,when mixed with fat, during the 2nd world war. Check out uncle Rays Belarus episode,in one of his shows.

As for the clear birch oil it is Steam distillation from the leaves and twigs.

I hope this is of help.

Cheers Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi, i forgot to add that the tar itself can be used as a wood preserver, boiled down it can be used as a glue, and that Russian leather is treated with Birch oil.

I make and use the tar myself.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE