Solo overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Felt I needed a bit of woods time so headed out yesterday afternoon to my local spot. I've been in the hammock a lot recently so as variety is the spice of life, thought I'd dig out my bivvi bag and get 'back to basics'.

Not too cold on arrival, around 5c and a nice spell of sunshine to set up my shelter in.

shelter_zps4ffb5c8d.jpg

Got a brew on while I collected some firewood, first go with my Tatonka. I really like this billy.

brewon_zpsa2b5c20f.jpg

Fire all ready to go.

fireprep_zps27c2d3de.jpg

Got dinner on, a pouch of beef stew MRE. Didn't really see the point of cooking something decent just for myself, now I do :rolleyes:.

tatonka_zpsafc00915.jpg

Had an uneventful night watching the stars and listening to the animals go about their business.
Up with the dawn.

dawn_zpsd7626a01.jpg

More MRE, not even sure what that is :confused:. Eaten with a Ti spork no less, shame on me!

yuck_zpsee1764ee.jpg

Finished the spoon I started in the evening, just need to give it some oil.

madeaspoon_zps5e495048.jpg

Cleared the fire away, leave no trace and all that :).

firegoing_zpsd179464a.jpg

firegone_zps65508579.jpg

Went for a wander and had a look what the deer had been up too. Lots of these scrapes dotted around the woodland, after bracken shoots perhaps.

scrapes_zpsb39660f0.jpg

Im thinking its deer as I found deer tracks but this hair I found looks more like badger really. Breaks like deer hair though, any thoughts?

hair1_zps411b6437.jpg

hair2_zps887e970f.jpg

Found a bracket funghi, Birch Polypore I think?

056_zps1a9ab698.jpg

Anyway I had a good time, headed home around noon.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
As far as I know, spalting is fine as long as the wood is dead and treated. It becomes an issue only when powdered and inhaled, as if you were sanding it. Check around though. Regardless, gorgeous spoon

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers Matt, just been oiling it. I kept the other half of the billet so maybe I can have a matching set :D.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff mate, looks a fine spot for camp

I've been thinking about the back to basics approach a bit more this year, we'll see though, I like my toys too much

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice night out by the looks of it i did a spoon this afternoon one stoke to many with the axe and it split and ruined it oh well try again on saturday regards dave

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like it was a nice night there. Thanks for sharing

Cheers :)

great pics thanks for sharing

Thanks mate

Good stuff mate, looks a fine spot for camp

I've been thinking about the back to basics approach a bit more this year, we'll see though, I like my toys too much

Yeah it was good to do things differently, I enjoyed being able to sit on my bed and still carve, cook etc. But I sure did miss a the comfort of the hammock! :D

Great post, cheers.

Cheers :)

Thanks for sharing, very inspiring.

nice night out by the looks of it i did a spoon this afternoon one stoke to many with the axe and it split and ruined it oh well try again on saturday regards dave

Ain't it always the way, I counted myself lucky I managed to get it done without snapping it in two.

Inspiring stuff. Looking forward to getting out, when the weather is warm the boy (7) wants to join me. Looking forward to that too.

Cheers, think were all deserving a bit of warmth. My thermometer read -2c this morning, brrr.

Looks really grand. Like the spoon and that fungus is a wow!. I would have said deer too but the hair does look like badger ... dunno, somebody here will, hopefully.

Cheers Elen, yeah I was pleasantly surprised to split that log and find the spalting inside.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Superb story and pics fella. Great to see another ground sleeper. Looks like you had a nice relaxing time in a lovely area. Thanks for sharing:)

Cheers, I started out camping with the bivvy and much as I love my hammock its good to get back to basics sometimes.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup: a warming little write up , reckon I need to make camp this weekend;)

Thanks mate, yeah good bit of soul medicine :D

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi copper head,

Looks like you had a great time there love the spoon very nice, in answer to your question if you dried your spoon before you finished it, the fungus is dormant in the wood. That means that, while not dead, it is no longer reproducing or producing spores. Any current spores in your wood will be sealed in by your finish. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using spalted wood for food items, as long as it is properly dried and sealed.

By the way, always wear a decent dust mask whilst working wood especially sanding it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nice pictures thanks for sharing. Deer (at least in Canada) make scrapes when they mark their territory almost always under the edge of a tree or bush. The males paw the ground and pee on it to leave sent behind. The hair looks like its from some kind of deer to me, deer hair is usually much coarser and shed easier than a "fur bearer" such as badger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE