Bushcraft, A male game...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
sometimes that sort of 'funnyness' that is general male banter makes me feel out of place and an interloper in an otherwise all male environment. just jokes... but it feels 'having a dig' and that i shouldnt be there.

if there was a mixed bunch when out for the weekend i would find it easier, i speak personally of course, not on behalf of all women who may not experience the same thing and the moot is so mixed that its not an issue at all.

i find its hard getting gals out cos often the blokes are off at footie or something and they have to do the childcare.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
You might be interested in this thread too:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77843

I think it 's relevant to ask this kind of question because if you get a good mix - work background, male/female/etc, nationality, age, race, religion, hair colour (if any!), Bushcraft experience, other types of experience and any amount of other variables then generally discussions are more interesting and - speaking for myself - I learn a lot more from discussions with a homogenous group. And for me the discussions are one of the best things about time spent in the woods (unless I'm on my own that is - conversation tends to get a bit boring then.)

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Interesting
Yes there is a huge male majority
But there are plenty of female bushcrafters and acquaintances of bushcrafters around
Some of the most interesting people I have met on courses etc have been women
I agree with Harvestman i can see no reason why females would not be accepted with the same enthusiasm as a male
Just look at those Bushbabes Tengu and Toddy .They have some skills

I'm still very new to the forum but have been on a meet and was welcomed delightfully. I wasn't over-helped either but if I asked everyone was most helpful. And everyone was very good fun :). I felt I was accepted as a person rahter than a gender which was delightful.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Betty ?
The females on the forum find her funny too :D
We keep waiting for Bushcraft Bloke to make an appearance....complete with exaggerated muscles and general gormlessness, though :D

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Re: L8starter post#21...........Any kind of behaviour which makes ANYBODY feel an interloper or out of place is inexcusable in my book - under any circumstances..................but there are always going to be occasions
when people revert to behaviours which, inadvertantly, will cause discomfort or sometimes offence.............I think you ( one ) need a thick skin in this life.

C4rn1fex

Mar 7, 2013
Southport
Quote Originally Posted by sandbender View Post
I suppose it depends upon what 'bushcraft' is to you, my better half has been 'bushcraft-ing' all her life, she just didn't know it was called that.
I'd agree with this as my other half enjoys the craft side of things but not so much the bush!

It begs the question: Do men generally prefer to be in uncomfortable outdoorsy situations?

Dave

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It begs the question: Do men generally prefer to be in uncomfortable outdoorsy situations?

Dave

I forgot to pack the milk for my tea once. Not a mistake I'll make a second time :eek: .

Is your average, generic, stereotypical woman more able to endure discomfort than your average, generic, stereotypical man? Absolutely! Evolution has seen to it that the female of most species has far more discomfort to endure than the male.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like bushcraft betty she appeals to the girl that threw sindy out the window with parachutes and cardboard hand gliders. They dont make girls toys as fun or as unbreakable as boys.

I have never been made to feel uncomfortable at any bushcraft event, and I have generally came on my own with two children. There are always people that turn up with "problems", which are really irrating, [see the thread on etiquette], but these as always a enough of rarity.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've seen plenty of women getting stuck in. What I've never seen is anybody other than Caucasians doing it - as in playing in the woods over here, that is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE