tipi recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
the year before last i was looking at someone's tipi at the moot, it had a built in groundsheet and was highly recommended by its owner.... i did nothing about buying one at the time but am looking again

trouble is... i cant remember what it was or what the ins and outs of buying a tipi are so im here for advice please

i want something i can stand up in, im 5'5'' thats easy to erect single handed, a two person will do

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought the small Bergans Lavvo 4-6 last year, it has a separate groundsheet which clips in around the bottom of the fly.

If you do a search on here you should find some pics, Southey put some good ones up

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Built-in groundsheet, and easy to put up? If youre looking for value-for-money, I'd be tempted to look at the Vango Peace tipis (or the Juno tipis - the Peace is poly-cotton, the Juno is nylon)- they don't make them any more, but often see them for sale on ebay etc. THey are incredibly easy to put up single-handed (roll out, three pegs, centre pole in, the other 3 pegs - job done!). You'll be able to stand up in the 300, and hold balls in the 500/800!

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
thanks andy, yes after a lot of searching ive come to the conclusion that it was the vango peace that i saw but i wonder why theyve stopped making them. ive put a saved search on ebay for one. ill check out the junio

thanks rich, i did do a lot of searching but will try again using southey and the word tipi, ses what comes up

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
thanks rich, i did do a lot of searching but will try again using southey and the word tipi, ses what comes up

If you search for Bergans you'll see the one I'm on about, I really fancied a nice polycotton Tentipi but couldn't stretch the wallet that far

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
eeekkk cant think anything that cheap would be any good????

ive found some nordisk and yes tentipi but thats the other extreme, £1-200 is more my price im hoping to find

Depends what you want! If you want it to give you plenty of space, reasonable weather protection (probably won't work on Everest, but should be ok for the UK most of the time), heavy-duty floor, and not that heavy overall, then the Vango Peace/Juno range ar pretty good. You want ultralight, go for a Kifaru or Seekoutside tipi, both tested in extreme conditions, but will cost you £500+ for the priviledge. Lighter-built, but still good, try a Golite shangri-la 5 or 3. A bit heavier, look at the Bergans and Helsport ranges. Bit pricier still, Tentipi.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I got one of the Golite Shangri-la5s a little while ago. At first I was a little unsure but after using it in the recent weather I'm more than happy. It's not a sewn in groundsheet but your able to pull the edges of the tent down tight to the ground. Space wise is perfect for two with good amounts of kit.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
Depends what you want! If you want it to give you plenty of space, reasonable weather protection (probably won't work on Everest, but should be ok for the UK most of the time), heavy-duty floor, and not that heavy overall, then the Vango Peace/Juno range ar pretty good. You want ultralight, go for a Kifaru or Seekoutside tipi, both tested in extreme conditions, but will cost you £500+ for the priviledge. Lighter-built, but still good, try a Golite shangri-la 5 or 3. A bit heavier, look at the Bergans and Helsport ranges. Bit pricier still, Tentipi.

thanks that looks perfect, the juno reviews were talking about heavy condensation and the creepy crawleys but this looks great. sadly tho it looks as tho the company has gone bust or something as it seems to be unavailable but ill keep on clicking the links that google gives me

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
thanks that looks perfect, the juno reviews were talking about heavy condensation and the creepy crawleys but this looks great. sadly tho it looks as tho the company has gone bust or something as it seems to be unavailable but ill keep on clicking the links that google gives me

LOL click my link above the one that says Juno 500 :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Ah ok sorry :)

EDIT: looks like the Go-lite brand may not be interested in us guys and girls this side of the pond :( Good news is there might be an alternative, interesting read

HERE

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE