What wood NOT to use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys,

In terms of carving spoons, bowls and other food utensils etc, is there a wood that should not be used? Also which woods are easier to carve than others...I have read this before but can't seem to remember which was which. I know some are particularly hard and tough going on the hands and others are like butter with a good sharp knife.

Cheers

Jordan

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Deleted. As did not read/interpret the OP properly. I am also interested in which woods are and are not "Food Safe".

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
All woods will be much harder to carve when seasoned compared to green or near green.
Some woods like lime are relatively soft when seasoned. I use a lot of different types of woods for bows and i do a lot of the work whilst they are still green which saves your hands.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd advise strongly against Yew for anything to do with food, but I've used most others over the years without harm..................atb mac

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm with Hillbill too, but the food safety issue has been done to death, as posted in the link above.

Almost any wood can be carved. Oak, hornbeam, yew, box and holly are notoriously hard when seasoned. Also if you plan on any fine decoration then softwoods aren't much use as they don't hold fine grain. Willow can sometimes be difficult because of the grain.

If you are new to spoon carving, start with a piece of lime, or my personal favourite, a fresh piece of green ivy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE