Favorite lamp and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm thinking that a mini hurricane/uco hybrid lamp could be easily made with household rubbish and simple tools?

Small glass bottle, something like a pub mixer bottle cut down for the globe.
A couple of can ends like deodorant spray cans for the hood and glass support.
Any old metal can/bottle for the tank.
Jb weld to stick it all together.
Scraps of metal for the wick tube and cage supports.

My only concern would be if the glass would break with the heat? Probably would buy a wick instead of cutting the misses best Egyptian cotton pillowcases up:eek:

A Uco size lamp but with a hurricane lamp output, what do you think?

Steve.

Something like this, perhaps?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think you have just agreed to be the prototype man Steve :D

id say Borosilicate glass would be better but ive never tried to cut it. I doubt bottle glass could take the thermal shock

Well I will give it a go then and make a vid if it turns out well? Will have to pop down the pub first for a couple of Gin and Tonics.... purely for gathering materials mind:)

I wonder if putting the bottle in the oven and cranking the heat up slowly would somehow condition the glass?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
OK so I started on a prototype hybrid using these...

001-28_zps41ef69f0.jpg

And I got this far....

004-12_zps7e300574.jpg

Rough I know but it's just a concept 1st version! Will have a vid up soon.

Steve.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Ta Paul,

Not sure if the glass will work? I didn't have a glass scorer so went round it with the dremmel but it cracked. If it won't work then I will have to get a made glass, maybe a UCO glass but I think they are narrower? I need a glass about 50mm or a bit less wide to fit those cans.

Will have to be crab paste sarnies for work next week!!

Steve

WIP Video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa_ClV_QF6M

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Tilley Bullfinch is a classic heavy duty gas lantern and you can pick them up for not a lot on ebay, well worth getting if your running gas from a bigger bottle.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Tilley Bullfinch is a classic heavy duty gas lantern and you can pick them up for not a lot on ebay, well worth getting if your running gas from a bigger bottle.

Indeed - fiver for mine....even came with a regulator!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Was in go outdoors today and they do the exact size globes needed for my lamp project! they come in two styles, straight cylinder and hurricane lamp round. Both have 50mm open ends...perfik!! they are 99p and £1.94 respectively.

Hope to update the project tomorrow for those interested?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
It lights just by putting a flame from a lighter to the bottom holes. I think if I do a version #2 I may try to incorporate a Feurhand wick adjuster assembly? They are only a couple of quid and quite small. It would make the operation and changing of the wick so much easier. I did have one but destroyed it trying to make an adjustable alcohol stove!!

I look forward to seeing your version Paul:)

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE