What is this grass?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Look up rhos grasslands for an understanding of what could live there. The seeds of some rushes can be eaten. They also make a nice floor for yurts and tipis. Sheep dont eat it, goats can but prefer other foods. Most farmers improve grasslands with ditches and muck but it seriously reduces the amount of species.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I was aware of ditches not draining uphill, thanks :D

That's not quite what I meant.;) I mean a ditch at the top of a sloping field will usually do more good at it catches run-off from the field above, whereas a ditch at the bottom of the field will do little to drain the field above. Sounds obvious to many but often ditches don't seem to be in the best place, possibly because farms have been split up over time.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The ditches in question are at the side and bottom of the upper field - it slopes down in 2 directions. The lower field is pretty boggy with some standing water but I'd like to dig a lake there.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
+1 on Alder as a great choice to go alongside your Willow planting, they love having their feet wet and should do well

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Alder isn't the best wood for providing a long lasting heat but it's a very pleasant wood to cook over in an open fire providing a delicate smokey taste. On the other hand it's fast growing and a good pioneer species fixing nitrogen to the soil making it better for other trees to grow. It's very light when dry and good for carving and has plenty of other uses (See PFAF) but can be prone to some diseases.

A year or two ago I'd suggest mainly ash if you're after firewood but these days I think several different varieties is more sensible.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Around here they call that prime development land. Build a hundred houses per acre then sell them to some suckers who cant get insurance because of the problem with the severe problems with the houses sinking in the swampy ground

Seriously though that looks like a lovely place might need a bit more than a few willows, perhaps dig a hole and let it form a small lake (nice little earner on the fishing)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i've always known that stuff as pigwick I was told that they used to make tallow rush candles with it, if it has a spongy white interior then I'm pretty sure it is

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
"Pigwick" - I like that! Don't have a lot of tallow or beeswax to get rid of, mind, so it's still pretty limited...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wattsy, I didn't know that name for it; but I'll remember it and use it now :D

The botanists keep changing the names for rushes, and it's a pain in the neck trying to mind if the one I'm describing is lacustris or schonoplectrus or ??????
I know all the complaints about calling the reedmace the bullrush, but that's what folks recognise.

Pigwick suits that wee field rush just fine :)

cheers,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is sort of totally off topic but my son made a water filter with the spongy inner of a type of rush. Simply cut pop bottle in half, stuff the spongy stuff in the neck. upturn the top put on top the bottom and fill with muddy water so it drips through.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is sort of totally off topic but my son made a water filter with the spongy inner of a type of rush. Simply cut pop bottle in half, stuff the spongy stuff in the neck. upturn the top put on top the bottom and fill with muddy water so it drips through.

What a very good idea :D

If we stripped the inner spongy stuff from the reedmace or the soft rush they could be bundled and squeezed into place like a porous plug.
One to try :D

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried that with the pigwick, and no joy. The 'foam' is supportive tissue, the green outside is the living bark, so to speak.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE