Whats best matirial for slingshot/catapult pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi,
Does anyone have any info or experience with best materials they have found to make pouches for catapults please?
Cheers
Bill

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I have never made one personally but when I've bought bands for mine the pouches are always made of leather of varying thicknesses between 1mm and 2.5mm maybe even 3mm.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
scrotum from a rabid badger :lmao:
I`ve got some of this left over, i`ll give it a go, :lmao:
I know about the leather, was thinking like what everday stuff hanging aroud the place to use, old leather belts great idea, Next time i`am in the charity shops i`ll pick some up for this reason
Cheers guys
Bill

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I've never made one myself but I always prefer the slightly thicker leather as it seems less resistant to tearing with prolonged use. It can sting a little more with some band slap but a good glove soon fixes that.

Aug 12, 2010
central europe
Against the opinion of most of the folks here, it is actually better to have a thin and light leather. A thick, heavy leather will slow down the speed of the projectile as well as increase the risk for nasty handslaps. The best leather there is in my opinion is kangaroo leather. Thin and light but extremely strong.

Best regards,

ll.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Against the opinion of most of the folks here, it is actually better to have a thin and light leather. A thick, heavy leather will slow down the speed of the projectile as well as increase the risk for nasty handslaps. The best leather there is in my opinion is kangaroo leather. Thin and light but extremely strong.

Best regards,

ll.

Hence cordovan. It's what they make archers gloves from, strong, abrasion resistant, supple and light.

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
Well my friend, that depends. Slinging is a hobby of mine so I will help where I can.
If you want the best then use 550 paracord and weave one. as long as what you're lobbing is under 39 stone in weight you will have REAL difficulty breaking the cord ;)
If you want traditional AND strong then use fibrous plant material (nettle stems are easiest in the uk) and, again, weave one. If you want traditional and quickly made then,,,,,you know what,,, here's a link to save me typing.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl
Hope this helps,,, Oh, coincidently, I had my stingray box out and there is a photo of my paracod sling attached now. ;)
892310_10200820580822065_503715262_o.jpg

Aug 12, 2010
central europe
Hence cordovan. It's what they make archers gloves from, strong, abrasion resistant, supple and light.

Have you ever handled cordovan? It is a very strong, yet very thick and heavy leather. I would not recommend it for a slingshot pouch. I love cordovan for making bags, wallets and it probably makes some of the nicest shoes in the world. But for a slingshot you need something a lot lighter, thinner and softer!
Even with a thickness less than a millimeter (I mostly use 0,6 - 0,8mm) it is *very* strong. You could slice cordovan to that thickness but it would not be as strong, soft and light as kangaroo.

Edit: I am not saying it doesn't work with cordovan, but it is inferior to kangaroo for use as slingshot pouch, as you will loose speed because it is heavy and because of its weight you will be plagued by handslaps.

Best regards ;)

Last edited:

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Hi Billy, i've been making my own pouches lately too... using 3mm veg tanned leather... very strong and quite light too... best thing is they smell terrific...!!! I've found that wet forming the pouch to you preferred ammo also helps accuracy and longevity of the pouches.... I'll post a couple of pictures if your interested mate.

Feb 19, 2013
scotland
A big hobby of mine... is making slingshots...

The thinner and lighter the pouch... the faster the ammo will fly.....

Used with double theraband gold, youve got a slingshot that will take down a roe deer...

20130319_203922_zpsab7b84c4.jpg

leon-1

2mm veg tanned waterbuffalo works well enough, I have some Kangaroo pouches and they're pretty good, I do worry about them giving though. Inbetween the two I have chrome tanned bison hide and this is really good, not as heavy as the bison, but gives the assurity of strength.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE