Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Ok mate if its a goer, then do you want to drive on this one?

Only if you agree to make one of your famous Stu Stews :p

The only thing I don't have is a massive tarp for a group shelter (I have lots of tarps, but they're for localized shelters) though I'm personally hoping for good weather anyway, and we don't need to have the fire in the fire pit if we don't want to (so long as we clean up after ourselves).

The letrine would be down in the ditch (there's an easy path down into the ditch, and once down there you aren't visible to others so that's always nice)... just remember to bring a small shovel ;)

Also, I'd recommend everyone bring at least 5 litres of water as the only water on site comes out of two 100 litre water butts which may or may not have dead rats floating in them at this point!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stew is no Problem, I will just need to know who whats it so I get the right amount, lol,

Tarp is no problem, mines in the Disco,
Water is no real problem - I'll bring my 25ltr, as its two days some other 25ltrs would be useful.

Just remeber only to private the location to people you know , as you may find an army coming...lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I reckon the site itself could comfortably accommodate 10-15 hammockers, and up to 50 tents... but I would want to limit the group to a total of ~10 people (for the sake of keeping things mangable, and making it easier to keep things clean, and ensuring the lady who actually owns the land doesn't get very, very ****** off with me)

It'd be nice, actually, to be able to tell the lady who owns the place that we'll do some maintenance on the land while there (saves her time and/or money) such as building a new fire pit, reseating the benches around that pit, removing some of the dead standing trees (which we can in turn use for firewood, of course) and possibly even raking up the leaves on the open green (which we can also burn)

She's already okay'd me to take small groups out there, but I do like to let her know when and how many (because the nosey locals if they happen to drive by and see anyone on there phone her up in the middle of night saying "someone's on your land!"... which must be very annoying for her)

Anyway, so long as everyone sticks to the bushcraft code (everything in goes out, no trace left behind) it's all good, right?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'll leave it to you, I can not see it getting more then the normal amount.

Soon as I'm able to clear the dates with the Mrs, I'll do as you do and put up the "official announcement" so people can put their names down.

I know that not having access to a toilet puts a lot of people off, so I imagine interest will be small.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Okay...

Friday 29th March and Saturday 30th March Easter Weekender on my private woodland.

Ground and tree dwellers welcome, trying to limit group size to around 10 so confirm ASAP if you want to attend.

My private woodland is between Sudbourne and Orford, with very easy road access. You can bring your vehicles as close as you wish to your pitch for unloading, though I will be designating a specific area for parking to minimize ground damage from sitting vehicles. The location to meet will be sent to each confirmed attendee privately.

I'm funding everything so you won't have to pay a penny! Obviously that doesn't include the stuff you bring for yourself ;)

Key points:

Things to bring:
- Bring as much water as you think you'll need for however long you intend to stay
- Bring a shovel to dig your own latrine
- Bring a bin bag to remove your rubbish
- Bring all your bushcraft tools with you to open up craft options (for example, I intend to tap a couple of birch trees for sap, so if you've never done that it'll be a good learning experience)
- You're welcome to bring items to trade/sell
- You can bring and cook your own food if you wish, but there will be two free communal meals and possibly even free breakfasts (all funded by me)
- If you want to help with the dead leaf clearing, bring a rake :)
- Hot water bottle with hilarious cover and/or hilarious slippers (optional, but encouraged)

Things to know:
- No on-site "facilities"
- You can bring your car right up to your pitch to unload (so no need to shoulder heavy gear very far)
- We'll be sourcing and processing our own firewood, but feel free to bring some with if you wish (don't be too lazy, though)
- Communal seating around a large fire pit (benches already in situ, but you can use your own chair if you prefer)
- Anything we take in, we take out!

Activities:
- Wood sourcing and processing (if you've never done it, you'll learn how to identify dead trees, safely fell them, then how best to process them for firewood and other uses as appropriate)
- Building a new fire pit
- Firestarting (we have to start a few fires anyway, so might as well make it educational for those who only know how to use a lighter)
- Birch tree tapping (and plugging when finished)
- Assorted crafts and skills (if you're good at something, teach others what you know) Please let me know if you want to share a particular skill so I can add it to the list.

Possibilities:
- Working on a means to take a quick shower

In more detail:

This is sort-of like "wild camping" in the sense that there are no "facilities" on site. You will be required to dig your own latrine down in the concealed ditch (don't worry, there's a nice safe way to get in and out of the ditch, and once down there nobody will be able to see you).

You will need to bring a suitable supply of water with you, but I will endevour to bring a fresh Water Butt containing 100 litres of clean water (no promises on that, I'll bring as much as I can though)

I have just bought a new toy I'll be bringing with which might (and I stress might) make it possible for us all to take a quick shower, and will definitely make it possible to at least have a wash and a shave. Assuming I'm able to get it to perform the shower function, I'll set up a concealed shower space using a suitable tarp in which you can take your shower, get dry, then get dressed in privacy.

Any clean burnable trash will obviously be burned, but bring a bin bag along to deal with any non-burnable rubbish you may produce (standard bushcraft logic).

Fluffy hot water bottle covers (preferably hilarious ones) are encouraged :)

Anyone who wants to assist in building a new fire pit to replace the somewhat knackered one on the site are encouraged to do so (I'll provide fresh fire bricks, and it's only a 25-30 minute task if done properly... but as with any job can be made fun if done in a group)

If you want to help clear all the dead leaves from the "orchard" area, bring a rake! We can burn the leaves, of course, so that's some extra fire fuel (albeit fast-burning).

Just as with wild camping, we'll have to source and process our own firewood, though if you want to cheat and bring some store bought wood that's fine too!

Stu's bringing his large group shelter tarp which may or may not be necessary (depends on the weather gods) so we'll be able to sit around and stay dry one way or another.

Stu's agreed to make a group meal on the first night, and I'll be making a group meal on the second night.

My group meal will be a chicken stir fry (done my own way, with zero fat beyond what's in the meat... a nice healthy and delicious meal).
I'll be paying for both group meals out of my own pocket, so the night will be 100% free!

===================
Copy the section below and add your name, which night(s) you plan to attend, and which meal(s) you want to have... post it as a reply :)

Easter Weekender Attending:
- SJStuart (both nights, both meals)

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
such amazing generosity, wondering if i might make it for the friday night but rather impractical and would mean leaving norwich at 5pm so totally impractical really. hope you have a great time

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
such amazing generosity, wondering if i might make it for the friday night but rather impractical and would mean leaving norwich at 5pm so totally impractical really. hope you have a great time

I used to work in Norwich... had to ride home on a motorbike come rain or shine (and even a blizard one time) 6 days a week. Left at 5:30, would often be 7PM before I finally got home (sucked in winter). Way too many speed cameras on that route :(

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
another time.

i have tried working with birch bark but never at the right time of year, i guess that this may be the right time so need to read up and find myself some birch that i can harvest.

as kids we helped collect birch sap for wine but i dont remember it being efficient or easy. when i was in finland tho i was amazed how they collected it from branches rather than the main trunk. amazingly simple. trees were decorated with bottles which were emptied each day still in situ.

im really pleased just found this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nT49Slf0Ro

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi,

I agree very generous of you to organise this. If it's ok I would like to attend both night's and will bring firewood, and take a rake to help out with the leaves and anything else that needs doing.

-Remeavithantos (both nights, both meals) will help out with food requirements as required and bring 25 litres of water.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I would love to come if there is space and am happy to help, hopefully someone can show me how to set up my new tarp properly and the DD Hammock i have not bought yet, I'm gonna give this hammocking merlarkee a go.......... Can only do Friday night though as I want to be at home Easter morning for the kids. I can bring 50 litres of clean drinking water and would be happy to leave the cans for you guys for sunday if someone can look after them till next time.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I would love to come if there is space and am happy to help, hopefully someone can show me how to set up my new tarp properly and the DD Hammock i have not bought yet, I'm gonna give this hammocking merlarkee a go.......... Can only do Friday night though as I want to be at home Easter morning for the kids. I can bring 50 litres of clean drinking water and would be happy to leave the cans for you guys for sunday if someone can look after them till next time.
We're meeting on Tuesday where I'll show you how to set up the tarp & hammock... so no worries there :)

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
I agree very generous of you to organise this. If it's ok I would like to attend both night's and help out with the leaves and anything else that needs doing if you require a chain saw i can bring one. i would also like to make a donation to the food fund if ok

-Remeavithantos (both nights, both meals) will help out with food requirements as required and bring 25 litres of water.
-mitch66 both nights and both meals (i will also bring 20L of water)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Do well, I look forward to it, I will order the hammock tonight and hopefully I will have it for Tuesday night. Where do you reccomend I buy a good wool blanket from for my hammock?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Do well, I look forward to it, I will order the hammock tonight and hopefully I will have it for Tuesday night. Where do you reccomend I buy a good wool blanket from for my hammock?

It's a tough one! I found an Army Surplus store online with some (but they're felted and not the best of quality)
I'd be interested to find a source for proper wool blankets, too!

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
If I find any, I will let you know.......... Just been looking on DD site........ do you guys just use a standard dd camping hammock or the bivi type with mosquito nets n poles etc?

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i use one with a mosquito net, not only does it keep the little buggers at bay. it makes the hammock a little warmer in the cold weather. sometimes you can find wool blanket's in second hand shops or in charity shops.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE