Grey Squirrel - Food of kings!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheNative

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
The Frontier
www.youtube.com
Recently caught myself a grey squirrel as I have never tasted it before and I imagined it would be somewhat like rabbit or pigeon having quite a strong gaminess taste. I cooked it by a fire on a hot piece of rock for about 20 minutes until the meat turned white and was cooked through then added some sea salt. When I ate the first piece I was blown away! It has virtually no gaminess flavour to it and is very tender. Absolutely delicious and can't recommend it enough to anyone who has not tried it... Only wish they were a bit bigger lol

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Squirrel and sausage casserole. Some of the finest food I've ever eaten. Grey squirrel is fabulous, and if I could buy it in shops, I would on sight.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Me too, or a bit too gamey ... must be a different sort of squirrel :D. Next time I get offered one, which could be soon if I ask me friend what shoots 'em, I'll try it simple and your way Native.

The "gamey" depends entirely on it's diet. If it's been eating mast or grain it'll be fine. If it's been anything else (and they're pretty much omniverous) it'll probably be gamey.

As to how "bland" it is, that depends entirely on whether you season it or not.

I've shared one of my favorite recipes before but I'll do it a gain here:

Ingredients:
-Four squirrels cut up into quarters
-Flour
-Salt & Pepper to taste
-Cooking oil (vegetable oil or rendered pork fat)
-Chicken stock or broth
-Onions (optional)
-Garlic (optional)

Method:
Season the squirrel pieces to taste with salt & pepper (and cayenne if desired) and then dredge them in the flour. Let stand a few minutes for coating to stick and dredge again. Let stand another few minutes while heating the oil in a skillet (deep enough to shallw fry the squirrel) Once hot (about the same temp as for frying chicken) shallow fry the pieces turning once to fry both sides until golden brown. Remove squirrel from oils and discard all but a few tablespoons of the oil in the pan.

Next slice the onions and/or garlic and saute in the oil if desired. Add enough flour to make a roux. then add chicken stock to thin the gravy to the desired consitency and season to taste.

Serve with a side of rice (or mashed potatoes) and a green leafy vegetable such as collards and cornbread. Reccomended beverage is sweetened ice tea by the pitcher.

On the other hand, for cooking a big, tough Red Squirrel or Fox Squirrel a slow cooker might be needed (or maybe a Coq au Vin recipe)

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It was a while ago that I had it now but I think we just BBQ'd it plain. I wasn't overly impressed.

Hare on the other hand! Just delicious.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It was a while ago that I had it now but I think we just BBQ'd it plain. I wasn't overly impressed.

Hare on the other hand! Just delicious.

Isn't hare rare these days? If they are should you be eating them? Think that I've only seen 2 my whole life.

Wasn't Wirral where they held that famous hare coursing event? Before it got banned that is.

A pub near pooley bridge used to serve grey squirrel. It was in an area that was where two expanding grey populations were expected to join, wiping out red populations. Or at least that was what a local wildlife group was claiming. Never tried it though.

Only had it once and it was pretty awful. But I think that was due to the way we (over)cooked it. Would be keen to try it again. Was advised that the *cough* testicles were the tastiest bit. I didn't have a chance to try them but I did butcher the thing and was a little disconcerted at just how big they are for such a little critter!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Isn't hare rare these days? If they are should you be eating them? Think that I've only seen 2 my whole life.

I see eight to ten most days - thirty or forty on a good day. Far more common than rabbits around here. Probably depends on the area

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Isn't hare rare these days? If they are should you be eating them? Think that I've only seen 2 my whole life.....

I haven't been there since 1992? Maybe it was '93. Back then they were hordes of them on and around RAF Fairford.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
they used to serve squirrel on the menu at a pub at Leintwardine, haven't been there for some years now so don't know if they still do.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Nope, not just you. Its okay...its not goose though!

Interesting how people's tastes differ
I told someone a while ago I'd shot some Canada geese and he suggested a receipe.
Pluck and draw the goose, place a house brick in the cavity. Cook the bird, once cooked, throw the bird away and eat the brick as that's far better than the meat!
I don't agree with him, but I have noticed that it can make a difference if you have a young or old animal. Both geese and squirrels can be tough if you have an old timer.
I have 5 squirrels I'm about to sort out myself and really like them. We often slow cook them on the bone, then flake the meat off the bone just prior to serving.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting how people's tastes differ
I told someone a while ago I'd shot some Canada geese and he suggested a receipe.
Pluck and draw the goose, place a house brick in the cavity. Cook the bird, once cooked, throw the bird away and eat the brick as that's far better than the meat!
I don't agree with him, but I have noticed that it can make a difference if you have a young or old animal. Both geese and squirrels can be tough if you have an old timer.
I have 5 squirrels I'm about to sort out myself and really like them. We often slow cook them on the bone, then flake the meat off the bone just prior to serving.

I'm not all that fond of geese either. Nor ducks or any waterfowl for that matter. They're just to greasy for me. I know; duck fat's supposed to be a delicacy but I just don't like it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Possibly true Rik. The best i had was when I water smoked a duck over mesquite. Most of the grease drained away to the water reservoir.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE