Sleeping mat bags ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Anyone seen any bags for carrying sleeping mats?

The full length closed-cell-foam, classic Karrimat type.

I've only seen DPM ones.
karrimat.jpeg

Any links ?

Cheers :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Can I ask why?
My karrimat like the one in your piccy is blaze orange, so it could be that you want to be a bit stealthy whilst in the woods.
Best.
da C.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
A friend of mine complained of his mat getting wet and asked if I could make him one, I figured it would be easy enough to get something decent.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
You can get dry bags quite cheap now. You could get one of those although it is likely to be too wide. Being strapped on to the outside of a pack will also make them vulnerable to being caught on fences etc.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I used to use a stuff sack but didn't like it as it was too baggy, I also tried making one to measure but the stich holes just split so I ended up just rolling it in a piece of cheap tarp which also acts as a second ground sheet for the tent. Keeps the mat dry & protects it from branches & thorns etc.

DSCF8141.jpg

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I used to use a stuff sack but didn't like it as it was too baggy, I also tried making one to measure but the stich holes just split so I ended up just rolling it in a piece of cheap tarp which also acts as a second ground sheet for the tent. Keeps the mat dry & protects it from branches & thorns etc.

DSCF8141.jpg

Good idea ! that's got me thinking of a new project :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Hmm.. not realy buddy, but I see ya point, to a point!
Its rolled up, so only a very small area ever gets wet, and as it doesn't soak in I just wipe any drops off with my hand.
Its funny, 34 years of wild camping and I can honestly say I had never given a CCF mat bag a thought ( which is why your posts interested me! )
My best.

Chris.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor

DSCF8141.jpg

Thats a good idea, spare utility tarp!

C.

rg598

Native
I'm with Chris on this one in that I am very confused. The best thing about closed cell foam is that it does not absorb water. You just shake it off or wipe the outside down with you hand and it's fine. If it's raining, you will have much more of an issue dealing with the wet pack and your wet clothing than the mat. All of the covers are just dead weight.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
what about one of those bage those cheap folding seats come on the seats always break and your left with the empty bag regards dave

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Buy a cheap pair of waterproof trousers and use the legs to make bags, you can have any colour you want then. Made a tripod cover this way some time ago just like this.

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
In the older days, Fjällräven offered a stuffsack that was open on both sides, where you put in your rolled sleeping mat, let it snap open and stuffed your sleeping bag into the open space within the mat. It was meant to work with their external frame packs, in case of rain covered with the rain cover of the rucksack. It was about 30 cm diameter and 50 to 55 cm wide, without the closures. I had one made once by my wife, but the snapping open of the mat never happened due to the sticky material of the mat (Evazote), the option with putting the mat into the rucksack and putting the other gear inside the roll was always awkward due to the same reason.

Since then I changed to using TaR mats and never looked back, packing them flat along the back of my Duluth Packs as cushioning or packing them in their small packsack (not so much fun, I admit...).

I would go for a waterproof stuffsack and put some spare clothing or a small sleeping bag inside and everything outside the rucksack if you insist to do it this way...:D

Kind regards,
Heinz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE