External Frame Packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I had a cracking Nowegian Norrona External frame 100litre pack with a frame. [not the rekonpack]
Bought secondhand in Germany in 2003, but sold it to fund a sabre 75. [Which was too short in the back]

I think the norwegian telemark is a beauty for the money. I just replaced a rivet on mine last night, which was an excuse to have a good look at it again.

norwegian_rucksack_unissued.jpg

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
+1for the telemark really like mine cant decide though if i like it for the look,its built to last (weighs a ton) or cause it just works
im really tempted by the lk70 im just not sure i need a bag that big i have a snugpak bergan thats only been out once and thats when i took the daughter for an overnighter.
but the kit lover in me still wants one though :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
+1for the telemark really like mine cant decide though if i like it for the look,its built to last (weighs a ton) or cause it just works
im really tempted by the lk70 im just not sure i need a bag that big i have a snugpak bergan thats only been out once and thats when i took the daughter for an overnighter.
but the kit lover in me still wants one though :)

The thing that almost everyone forgets to mention when they talk about the Telemark bag which to me is its greatest feature is that it will actually fit a fat bloke. So many of these type of things were never (understandably) designed to go on the back of tall big blokes.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
The thing that almost everyone forgets to mention when they talk about the Telemark bag which to me is its greatest feature is that it will actually fit a fat bloke. So many of these type of things were never (understandably) designed to go on the back of tall big blokes.

what you saying im a fat bloke ? i take it you ve seen my pics then lol

May 23, 2012
Highlands
Just seen the price €359 :eek: Are they worth it? Any experience?

A Savotta - the LJK - will last 2/3 or even 4 generations of user, they are made in Finland by people who know & care bout what they do
They're not made cheap in the far east !!!!

They are worth the expense & should you damage it (high unlikely) they will more than likely fix it :)

An LJK will still be kicking long after we have stopped !!!!

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Plus 1 more for the telemark, mine was still wrapped in original packaging, never been issued or used, now used every week on our weekly bimbles!
Just found and ordered a brand new original 1940's baby brother for it, 25ltrs, been looking for ages!
rucksack_zps9645cd93.jpg

And here is it's 25l brother.
RUC-VINTAGE-PATROL_zps8f2c4757.jpg

RM

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
I have an old civilian frame but no bag. I haven't weighed it but it feels quite light. I did wonder about just strapping a dry bag to the frame. However the straps and hip belt are quite battered and I doubt it is possible to buy replacements now.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have an LK70
The straps are a bit poor, but I replaced them with MOLLE ones from eBay.
My only other complaint is that the side pockets are a bit small.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wouldnt the Karrimor SF TECMAC be considered an external frame?

It certianly comes apart making a pack board.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
So what's brilliant about external frame packs compared to internal ones?
Surely it's old technology compared to internal frames so is it just nostelga/ personal choice or is there a practical reason

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
External frame has better weight distribution when carrying very heavy loads, 40 kgs and even more. And feels more comfortable in long distance walkings with such heavy loads.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
So what's brilliant about external frame packs compared to internal ones?
Surely it's old technology compared to internal frames so is it just nostelga/ personal choice or is there a practical reason

Hmmm,

I've never used an external frame, although I am toying with the idea of getting one, I reckon a frame coupled with some sort of cargo panel would be better for carrying awkwardly large/ shaped objects than a internal rucksack. I also think it would be better for a modular kind of setup.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Thanks for the link: it brought back memories. I've had two.
The first was an ex-government manpack carrier. It had a lot of sharp corners but I remember carrying a sewing machine on it for 3 miles without really noticing the weight. (Don't ask why). I did use it a few times for trekking but it needed the right sort of bag, which I didn't have so I trade it in for:-
A kelty type frame and packsack. Unfortunately, the frame and sack were two different makes and had to be cobbled together. This rig did have the advantage of leaving an extra load space which came in useful for a wet tent, odd shaped loads or extra food. It was very comfortable and dealt well with heavy loads. I swapped it for an internal frame when a lot of my travelling included transport. It wasn't the best thing for getting in and aout of cars, for example.
I passed it on to my son, but he got rid of it for an internal frame too. A pity, I wish I still had it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It's not just nostalgia,
External frame packs have benefits to them.
Firstly, there is the load issue. you can carry far greater loads, more awkward loads too.
I've used mine to carry firewood (the frame with the sac removed) and other bulky items.
Then there is the ventilation issue, it sits further from your back, giving better air circulation.
Internal frame packs are better in some situations, but each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
I am thinking about that LK70 that MilitaryMart is offering, but I am not so sure about the frame and the material. It is offered in canvas and in Cordura/Nylon/Polysomething. And Graham said that he replaced the straps with some Molle straps for more comfort. Where did you get them and which ones did you take for the job. I also have an old Fjällräven Gyro frame that I am thinking about replacing for the frame on the LK70. Do you think it will fit? From the look of the LK70 one could think it is some kind of the old Haglofs Alaska, could that be?

Thank you for you input
Heinz

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE