Altberg "MOD Regulation" Brown boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
I'm not sure about the 18 month time scale, we put our sizes in for the new brown issue boots in December, just after our MTP issue, for issue early this year and I'm ACF so the regular Army must already be getting them!

Can't say I'm keen on brown boots but they do look better with the new kit

Den

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
Altberg use sympatex instead of goretex (same thing different brand name). Not all Altbergs (or Lowas) are waterproof though. The waterproof version is usually about £10 more (Edit!).

Personally I steer away from waterproof boots simply because they are great for dry feet until they get wet over the top and then they take 5 times longer to dry out.

Gah! That's definitely something to keep in mind, I had just turned my nose up at a pair of Solovair boots despite the build quality because they're not marketed as being waterproof. A representative for the company in an e-mail told me that I could treat the leather on them myself to make them waterproof but even though I love the look and rep of their boots I didn't fancy spending £150+ for them only to have to work on them myself.
It was looking like I was gonna end up with a pair of Gore Tex waterproof Lowas or Altbergs... but now I'm back where I started :)

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Personally I steer away from waterproof boots simply because they are great for dry feet until they get wet over the top and then they take 5 times longer to dry out.

+1 To this

I always think the term "waterproof boots" can be misleading given that all boots will wet out in the wrong conditions. The main difference is that goretex (or similar) boots take significantly longer to dry out than leather lined boots. Plus, properly treated and cared for leathers lined boots can be just as waterproof.....

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Gasparo, i have used the altberg field & fell boot with sympatex liner, extensively in "off road" conditions through work(i'm a dog handler) & socialy & they have never let me down through water coming through the boot, only when i have been in water deeper than the boot, has water got in.
Also my meindl boots which do not have a liner don't leak either, & i only use polish on them. Matterhorn are also waterproof & worth a look.

Rob

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
Thanks for the recommendation Rob (aka woof) I was actually looking at the Field & Fell and also the Bergen, if I go Altberg it'll be one of those two I reckon... still trying to decide between GoreTex and plain leather. GTX is great but let's say you fall in a river or something and you're out for the night, choices would be wet boots or no boots, at least with leather you could stop, change your socks, fire up and have dry boots again in a few hours. I realize no one goes out looking to fall in rivers though, just a thought lol. When everything goes according to plan you don't really notice your kit, it's when the unexpected happens that the weak points start to show.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
If you want the field & fell in a none membrane, you will have to make them a special order, & that will take about 6wks, also if you want them in a wide fitting. If you go to the factory shop, its worth looking at the factory seconds, they have in. almost all are just light marks/glue marks etc.. & a big saving on "new".

Rob

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
STOP! Unload....

Just to let you know that the Altberg brown boots are not going to be issued to the army. They have begun making them in brown because we will be switching over to the brown boots by 2014 (they say)...The ones the army will be issued are manufactured by a German company called Haix

http://www.haix.com/en/

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Well I don't think I will be getting issued them. My regiment is getting disbanded. So I'm going to try and get another pair of lowers before I leave.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
STOP! Unload....

Just to let you know that the Altberg brown boots are not going to be issued to the army. They have begun making them in brown because we will be switching over to the brown boots by 2014 (they say)...The ones the army will be issued are manufactured by a German company called Haix

http://www.haix.com/en/

You are incorrect. Altberg are just one of the makers awarded a contract by the MOD. Haix have also won part of the contract as have Magnum.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
You are incorrect. Altberg are just one of the makers awarded a contract by the MOD. Haix have also won part of the contract as have Magnum.

Where did you hear this? I'm pretty sure that Altberg failed to get any of the contracts as they were unable (and unwilling) to mass produce in the manner required. Unless I stand corrected, I imagine that they are just knocking out brown boots now because they know that most of their customer base won't be buying brown boots any longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE