What's your favorite watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Quartz watches will at best if you buy a good one give you five years even if you change the battery every year, piezo crystals have a very limited life!
How do you figure that out? My Lorus is about ten years old and I have another one that is even older and still working which survived water ingress because the seal was not properly replaced when the battery was changed some years ago. Only thing wrong with it (and why I have two) is the glass is chipped, and it was not worth the cost of having that replaced.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Mine is an Aqualung Pro Helium 1000.... Had it on my wrist for over 10 years now. Absolutely bombproof and waterproof to 1000mtrs

prohelium.jpg

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
I wear my grandfathers Omega Army Issue watch. He received it in 1942 and as far as I am aware it has never been serviced and still keeps excellent time. It only needs wound every seven days and has a small dial on the face that counts from one to seven. When the dial marker hits seven a small window on the face clicks from wound to rewind and the watch will "ding" every hour on the hour on the seventh day if you don't rewind it! The watch survived the tropical swamps of Burma and the allied invasion of Sicily. The last service the watch saw was in Korea where in winter it was regularly -22*C below, and +40*C in the summer. What a watch and what a man it was that wore it! For trips were I intend to do a lot of snorkelling I wear my Seiko Automatic divers watch. I think a mechanical watch is an essential bit of kit for any outdoors man. If you find that your battery operated watch has failed in the cold (as most of them do) you will kick yourself. Most mechanical watches even the cheap ones, will last a couple of decades. Some like the Omega will outlive you! Quartz watches will at best if you buy a good one give you five years even if you change the battery every year, piezo crystals have a very limited life!

Er......No!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Quartz watches will at best if you buy a good one give you five years even if you change the battery every year, piezo crystals have a very limited life!

First to admit I am no expert at all on this, but I wonder if you are confusing quartz crystals in watches with piezo electric ignition crystals when referring to lifetime?

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
My favourite watch is one I hardly ever wear, it belonged to my dad's dad who died when he was a child and was given to me when I was about 11 or 12. I had it repared to working condition and wore it in the watch pocket of my kilt waistcoat when I got married.

IMG_1470_zps643c0e7e.jpg
[/IMG]
love the watch and love that it was dads dads watch.I to have my grandads pocket watch and i am proud.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not blown away by dead bling watches but there's something about those Soviet era watches that I really like.
Couldn't give a fig for posh brands either.
I do however really like clockwork, not interested in quartz cos I have a mobile phone for accuracy.

These however...
Sputnik_02.jpg

I like the ones from when they had a real sense of optimism about the future and that ^ Sputnik watch shows it all over its face.

I also had a nice Raketa with a 2609HA movement, nothing fancy but it kept good time and looked nice. Should have kept that one.Just cos it was nice, nothing to do with cash value.
Raketa went onto become Seconda and IIRC bought loads of tooling from Switzerland.

R

RICKY RASPER

How do you figure that out? My Lorus is about ten years old and I have another one that is even older and still working which survived water ingress because the seal was not properly replaced when the battery was changed some years ago. Only thing wrong with it (and why I have two) is the glass is chipped, and it was not worth the cost of having that replaced.
If you really believe that a quartz watch is more reliable that a mechanical one then good for you. It's true that they are more accurate but I have never had one that has got me past the five year mark. And I cant recall any quartz watch I ever bought giving more than a 12 month warranty. My mechanical Seiko divers watch has a 25 year professional use guarantee, a bargain for 400 notes. Lets put that against the Quartz Tag Heuer Super Professional 1000m Diver watch. It costs £1280 and only has a 12 month "reasonable use" warranty. If manufacturers wont stand by their quartz watches, why should I ???
PS try finding a replacement battery and seals in the wilderness should the need ever arise!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Hells bells! I was looking for an image of my G-shock to post on this thread (to lazy to take an actual photo) I bought this G-Shock from a boot sale last year unused in its tin for £10 after losing my Seiko kinetic (I still hope to find it in a draw). Any way I have been using and abusing this watch for over twelve months now and really like it but having now located an image of one on eBay I am not sure I should wear it as someone is flogging theirs for over £300!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Casio-STA...065372401?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2a285652f1

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire

these are my favourite watches the first is a waltham also one from my grandfather that i use for going out and evenings the second is a services watch that i use for working and genral everyday and the third is my bushcrafting watch I like this one as it winds itself up through movement and is made by rotary . sorry picture didnt work will try again.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
You appear to be trying to link to the photo ID on your hard drive ( which you can't do ) , rather than from an online photo host like photobucket.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
i have only posted a pic once and cant remeber hoe i did it i go on photobucket and upload my photo then on the right side of the page their is loads of codes i think i used one of those last time but cant remember cheers brambles.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
i have only posted a pic once and cant remeber hoe i did it i go on photobucket and upload my photo then on the right side of the page their is loads of codes i think i used one of those last time but cant remember cheers brambles.

Ya do that but use the bottom one, 'image link' I think?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If you really believe that a quartz watch is more reliable that a mechanical one then good for you. It's true that they are more accurate but I have never had one that has got me past the five year mark. And I cant recall any quartz watch I ever bought giving more than a 12 month warranty. My mechanical Seiko divers watch has a 25 year professional use guarantee, a bargain for 400 notes. Lets put that against the Quartz Tag Heuer Super Professional 1000m Diver watch. It costs £1280 and only has a 12 month "reasonable use" warranty. If manufacturers wont stand by their quartz watches, why should I ???
PS try finding a replacement battery and seals in the wilderness should the need ever arise!

As I said, I have not one but two quartz watches that are well over 5 years old and still in working order, telling the time accurately. To top that there is the digital clock in the dashboard of my car and that is 20 years old. Where can you replace a broken mainspring in a mechanical watch in the wilderness either?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE