Dog fur

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
The simple answer to this question is maybe. That said, it does the dag have fur, or hair. Hair dogs, like the Portuguese Water dog will felt well especially a curly coat, and will thus spin. Most non shedding dog breed descend from the PWD. Two coated dogs under fur usually will. I make spinning wheels, so have a wee, and I mean wee bit of knowledge of spinning, and have been exposed to a lot of spinners, some of whom can spin anything resembling hair or fur. As a trial you could try felting some of your dogs shed fur.
Woody

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My dog is now proudly bearing his full wintercoat, but when the time comes, (About april-may)
There is always a huge undercoat shedding out, and I was wondering, if it could be used to make something with.
Or is this an absolutely ridiculous thought?
I was thinking in particular a bow string but any thoughts would be appreciated.:)

My grandmother made two sweaters out of dog fur. Grandad swears by them for keeping him warm.

Orric

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I have an Akita and she has masses of fur all over my house to the extent I should hoover 3 times a day. I don't tho - far too lazy.

Either way when I pull all the fluff out of the tumble dryer filter I always wonder if that would have a use?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
That's my grandparents :D

media coverage was awful lots of folk taking the Micky or misunderstood the article and thought they killed the dogs. Didnt help that the reporter kinda just took some of the facts made the story up. Who'd have thought it from the press eh!

Orric

It's good to see it can be done with a Swedish lapphund, they are very similar to my Finnish one:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE