Guy ropes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2011
Greenwich
Guys I have been looking to find something better than paracord to use as guy ropes.

What I am looking for is something with only a little stretch in it, but most importantly I want something that doesnt hold water. Or doesnt hold much water.

Weight is also important, the lighter the better.

Thanks

Aug 27, 2011
Greenwich
Colour is not really a factor. Bright would be nice for small bits, and green/black for the most part... but really either would work just as well.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I have grand ideas of using something cool like Dynema but always end up with bungees and garden twine. I know all about the problems with bungees; it's just the Army training I can't shake.

Claudiasboris

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If you really want something really light and thin, I have used Fishing Dyneema for kite flying..... strong light, just dont walk in to it...

Aug 27, 2011
Greenwich
Thanks guys, but how well do these (dyneema ect) cope with water? Yes they can get wet, but do they hold water? Its the holding of water that becomes an issue when you want to pack up in the rain and have soaking wet line. I know I could just use a dry bag but want to find some cord that means less stress about getting the tarp out to dry after a trip.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks guys, but how well do these (dyneema ect) cope with water? Yes they can get wet, but do they hold water? Its the holding of water that becomes an issue when you want to pack up in the rain and have soaking wet line. I know I could just use a dry bag but want to find some cord that means less stress about getting the tarp out to dry after a trip.

you could always spey them with silicon Spray... we do it with the Quad line Stunt kites like the revolution, to keep friction down , , and it dont have an effect on the line... well we have seen none over a number of years use.... lines normaly just wear out.... and we dont have water problems with them.. and we even fly the revs in and out of the water/sea....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

They hold very little water due to the shiny coating on it, packing a wet tarp and wet lines together isn't too bad

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Polyester covered Dyneema from a marine supplier usually has a water resistant treatment. Not only does it shed water, but dirt too.

As dyneema is so strong for its diameter, the thinner lines don't soak up as much water.

After going through most of the lines on the market, I've settled with Marlow polyester covered dyneema for my guys. Tangles literally fall out of the line. Its a joy to use.

Like Shewie, I use Stein throwline for the ridgeline.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I use the new army issue green nylon cord, I get it as part of our kit, due to it being an expense item. good strength at holding lines, takes knots easily, does not hold water and half the weight and size of normal paracord. The old stuff was stretchy and naff but the new stuff is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE