Off roading in a regular car

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Little suzuki sj400/410 are many peoples choise for trials due to the short wheelbase and affordable cost but there bone shakers to drive.
Diahatsu fourtrak/sporttrak are half decent and cheap.
How about an old Hi-Lux. Bomb proof engine if you can find a decent body.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Little suzuki sj400/410 are many peoples choise for trials due to the short wheelbase and affordable cost but there bone shakers to drive.
Diahatsu fourtrak/sporttrak are half decent and cheap.
How about an old Hi-Lux. Bomb proof engine if you can find a decent body.

Still fetching crazy money, the old hilux :eek:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
My Bro used to drive an old Astra van issued to him by the forestry. It was fitted with larger than normal wheels to give it a bit extra clearance when negotiating forest tracks.
Of course, it played havoc with the gearing on normal roads. I remember it could do 0-60...eventually!

Z

Binxie

Tenderfoot
We had two, both of which had engines let go in a very expensive way.
The 'bomb proof engine' thing has entered folk lore but isn't true.

It is true that the smaller engines are aluminium blocks prone to cracking. If you want the bomb proof version its the 3.0l unfortunately. Obviously if you can afford to run a 3L then you would probably buy something more modern one would assume.

I looked at getting a 4x4 for ages to run on veg oil but in the end deemed it more trouble then it was worth.

If you are sure you want to offroad in a standard car I would suggest getting some offroad tyres and a sump guard. Other than that consider some clamps to hold the suspension up which you used to get for caravaning. What you basically do is jack the car up on a jack and put these screw up holders on the spring to prevent it from being able to travel down. It will increase your ride height but I don't expect the bumps would be much fun.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It is true that the smaller engines are aluminium blocks prone to cracking. If you want the bomb proof version its the 3.0l unfortunately. Obviously if you can afford to run a 3L then you would probably buy something more modern one would assume.....

Is 3 liters considerred large there?

garethw

Settler
One vehicle I always saw around fixing lakes and seemed to be very able off road was a Citroen C15 van. Light, basic, has a reasonable ground clearance and seems to get there.
I saw one coming down the track by the river recently that I'd just done in a 4x4... he seemed to have no problem.
Cheers
Gareth

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I looked at getting a 4x4 for ages to run on veg oil but in the end deemed it more trouble then it was worth..

whay was that, I run my Landy on veg oil sometimes,.... just tip it in no problem , as long as you dont go over te 2500ltrs a yer no hassle at all...

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Suzuki Vitara. Like the Jimny, cheap as chips, basic but good off road. Seen a few pulling defenders out of the mire

Vitara, that's the one I would go for on a budget. Not bad on fuel, can be bought for about £500/£700 in reasonable condition' 4 wheel drive with high / low box. Pop a set of decent tyres on it and you will find it will serve you well (and they are pretty comfy to drive on / off road).

if you can handle shoddy fuel consumption then I would go for an old imported pajero or a UK registered Shogun. Still do the tyres though.

i have experience of both of these on and off road and they are pretty damn good IMO.

hope this helps.

regards, Jon.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yup, most high end 4wd over here are 2.5 l upto 3l and petrol wise for them that can afford to run them V8 's are popular

2.5 is a small 4 cylinder low end here. My Ram is 4.7 and it's only a 2WD. Diesels are rare in 4WD (just not enough umph for most people) That siad, I certainly wish I could get a jeep in diesel. Maybe one day they'll be available.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
2.5 is a small 4 cylinder low end here. My Ram is 4.7 and it's only a 2WD. Diesels are rare in 4WD (just not enough umph for most people) That siad, I certainly wish I could get a jeep in diesel. Maybe one day they'll be available.

My dad used to have a diesel grand cherokee (3.0 CRD V6 S Limited)? - he's switched to a Hyundai Santa Fe now.

One of the reasons engines are smaller over here is the cost of fuel.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My dad used to have a diesel grand cherokee (3.0 CRD V6 S Limited)? - he's switched to a Hyundai Santa Fe now.

One of the reasons engines are smaller over here is the cost of fuel.

Yeah they keep hinting they'll unveil diesel versions over here too. But the only time they actually followed through was the Patriot for a limited edition one year only. And it didn't go over too well. I wish they'd offer it in the Wrangler.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
We're going OT.

I have a 1.9 GTTDi Golf which is great, love the 50+ mpg I get.

I thought about a truck but couldn't face it with the diesel price. I have all season grippy tyres which help in mud but I stay off bad tracks and go slow on those I have to.

I bought a roe sack in the end, a mile with a deer on my back always seems better when I see the MPG at home - and the mark 3 Golf takes one of those under bed storage things from Ikea, which fits two roe nicely.

Get some wellies and stick with the car in the layby.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use my Peugot Expert van on forestry roads around here ... they are better than some of the lanes that are suposed to have tarmac! ... and some farm tracks are several miles of potholes and mud.
Road tyres, normal wheels ... no problems so far (except that the gearbox, clutch, strut tops, axle bushes and alternator have all gone in the past 2 years from unnconected causes) and I have covered a fair few miles off road!

Jan 6, 2013
London
By the sound of it you don't want to spend a lot of money. Therefore there are two good options, park up your normal car near by and walk to where you want to camp, or park up your normal car where ever, unload a cheap but good sencond hand mountain bike set up with panniers or trailer and ride to where you want to camp.

My vote get a mountain bike and have fun and stay fit!

So, I've decided on a MPV converted campervan, along with a mountain bike & trailer to take me off road. Thanks for the suggestion. I was very keen on the Suzuki Vitara but the MPV (ford galaxy) won for the amount of interior space and excellent mpg.

Cool forum by the way, I'll visit more often :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE