Time in the wood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Spent 6 nights in the wood and returned to the world of electricity and noise just yesterday..:)
It was unseasonally mild, if damp, and my winter sleeping bag was almost too cosy at times. The wood seems to slumber in that half world between Winter and Spring, birdsong is limited to a few Bluetits squabbling, the Woodpeckers who were taking advantage of the soft well soaked standing dead trees to feed and the evening concert of the Tawny Owls.
Fungi seem to thrive in the damp conditions..
008-7.jpg
1st2013023.jpg

Dead Man's Fingers grow in great numbers on the fallen trees
1st2013014.jpg

I have a limited knowledge of fungi, I thought these might be developing Varied layer Polypore..possibly? Not sure.
King Alfred's lack of cooking skills are well represented in the wood..:)
1st2013012-1.jpg
1st2013018.jpg

1st2013017.jpg
The hatchet's not buried in a living tree...it's long since dead..

Much of the wood is very ancient Hornbeam coppice, when I see these trees I always remember back to long ago when I was a nipper and learning the trees.."How do you know it's a Hornbeam?"...."'Cos it's got skin like an Elephant"..:lmao:
1st2013027.jpg

There you are..one 'Elephant tree'..:lmao:

The Hornbeam burns slowly and with a fierce heat and was grown to fuel the furnaces of the Sussex Iron Masters who made the guns for King Henry and later his Daughter, Good Queen Bess. Drake, Hawkins and Frobrisher and her other Seadogs prized the Sussex Iron guns and large areas were given to growing the Hornbeam for the furnaces and still the Hornbeam coppices stand.
My water source in the wood is a well which I found by tracing back this rill or steamlet..
1st2013002.jpg

The photo shows it running down from rising ground, so I went beyond the rise and there given away by the presence of Rushes, Ferns and other healthy growth I found the well.
sept005.jpg
1st2013009.jpg

My well 'Bucket' (Courtesy of Tesco) is about 2 feet below the surface, the water is crystal clear and icy cold. I run it through my filter and boil it anyway, but I prefer to use the well other than my small boundry stream which tends to run sluggishly in dry weather.
1st2013024.jpg
1st2013011.jpg
1st2013010-1.jpg

The well is lined with ancient local stone and it's easy to think it once served the old time wood cutters who fed the furnaces.

Looking back through the 2011 diary, I spent 81 nights in the wood last year and always of 3 nights or more at a time, so for me anyway, a tent is my preference. It's not necessary to camouflage the tent at all, this is not 'stealth camping'..:) it's just that I think the harsh curve of the tent is better broken up as I feel it's slightly less obtrusive.
1st2013021.jpg
007-6.jpg

The very obvious Deer trail that runs close by is still in regular use so perhaps the Deer think so too..:lmao:

1st2013020.jpg
(poor photo)
The Catkins are on the Hazel

The woodland folk are stirring..well Mr Meece who lives in this hole, stirring on Sunday night anyway..I often take the individual little cheeses as part of my rations and I find the wax covering and cellophane paper is handy to 'kick start' the fire the next morning. I left some wax and cellophane coverings tucked in the fork of a tree on Sunday night only to find the next morning that someone and I think he lives here ...
1st2013022.jpg
1st2013026.jpg
had scoffed all the wax cheese coverings. I listened at the hole thinking I might hear the groans and curses of a belly-aching meece, but I think he survived...and I still managed to get the fire going anyway..:lmao::lmao:

The year is off to a good start..:D

Historical ramblings now...

Definitely not 'Bushey' but may be of interest...
A bad photo, but all I could get from a fast, busy country road safely..Look through the trees to the horizon beyond the green grass to the rising ground and the stand of trees on the sky line where a small farm has stood for centuries..
012-4.jpg

In 1264 Simon de Montfort Earl of Leicester finally lost patience with King Henry 111 who had failed to honour agreements made some years before at Oxford. The Earl raised an army of fellow Barons and supporters and met the King in battle on the Sussex Downs above the town of Lewes. An early success by the King's son, Prince Edward, leading cavalry was short lived and De Montfort's men began the destruction of the King's forces who were made up partly by Militia raised in the various London Boroughs and the area of the Capital. These Militia began to flee the field of battle, streaming down from the heights and heading panic stricken North towards London.

De Montfort captured the King, Prince Edward and other Royal supporters and then realised that the large number of still armed, but escaped Militia mighjt upset his future intentions of riding into London. With this in mind he sent his cavalry and mounted Men at Arms in pursuit. The Londoners gathered in a last attempt to defend themselves on the ground in my photo. The name that has come down through the 749 years since gives an answer to the events of that brief meeting between De Montfort's professional soldiers and the partly trained London Militia...
011-4.jpg

One of the routes to my camping wood runs past this place and I often think of a Spring day in 1264 when I see that place name..
crusader.gif
..:)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Wicca, that looks a superb place to spend time...and your own water supply as a bonus. Out of interest, were you alone? I ask because I tend to spend a couple of nights on average in the woods and have yet to do longer than three nights alone because of time constraints mainly. I want to do longer stints this year. Do you find the 'alone-ness' an issue?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Out of interest, were you alone?

Yes TL, I am always solo, never in company. I don't think I'm anti social but I love isolation and don't care for communal get-to-gethers. The silence and stillness of the woods is what I really seek. It takes me maybe 12 hours to "tune in" and after that I don't feel like an intruder and I find I see and hear things that in company I would probably not notice.
I have no family or work commitments so time means nothing to me. My wood is off the beaten track, so a long walk in to spend just one or two nights doesn't appeal the same as carrying in a weeks rations and trying to blend in with woodland life for a week or so. :)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Great pics.......looks like you had a great time, i love being out alone but with the company of my dog....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE