Survivability for the Common Man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the book and DVD which goes with it. It is a good basic book and DVD written for the average American, it a a light read but does offer a lot of insights to his philosophy and is easy to understand if you are at the next white Rose meet or North Wood meet I cane bring it along so you can have a read and see what you think.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have the book and DVD which goes with it. It is a good basic book and DVD written for the average American, it a a light read but does offer a lot of insights to his philosophy and is easy to understand if you are at the next white Rose meet or North Wood meet I cane bring it along so you can have a read and see what you think.

I'm intending to be at the next White Rose meet so would love to look at it, ta muchley. Just found him on Youtube as well so may have a watch over a cuppa in a wee while.

Ooops! I just found Survivorman (never seen before!) not Dave Canterbury on Youtube ... looks a bit more Bourne conspiracy :D

Last edited:
Until recently Dave was one of the two survival experts on Dual Survival (there's lots of that on YouTube too...) He was kicked off the show for exaggerating his special forces role, but that shouldn't take away from his vast knowledge and common sense approach to survival. I can't comment on the book because I haven't read it, but knowledge and understanding wise, this guy is outstanding :D

Rich

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Until recently Dave was one of the two survival experts on Dual Survival (there's lots of that on YouTube too...) He was kicked off the show for exaggerating his special forces role, but that shouldn't take away from his vast knowledge and common sense approach to survival. I can't comment on the book because I haven't read it, but knowledge and understanding wise, this guy is outstanding :D

Rich

And exaggerating an awful lot more than just his "special forces" (which he was never an operational part of...) role. Check out any of his "writings" and see just how much has been taken from REAL outdoorsmen such as Mors Kochanski, David Alloway, Ron Hood et al.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Elen, there only so many 'survival' books you can read and learn from, they are all much same after reading the first few so rule of thumb is, borrow, swap, don't buy.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
i have read his book and bought his pathfinder e-course.
both were poorly written and not very well organized.
his ecourse was an aghast waste of money. it wasn't a teaching tool at all. all it was, was a series of blocks telling his students what to research subjects in a very disorganized fashion. it does not really teach anything in itself.
you would probably get better training from a boy scout handbook. lol.
you will learn more from his videos than any of his other materials...

Ray Mears "essential bushcraft" was a far superior book, IMO.
http://www.amazon.ca/Essential-Bushcraft-Ray-Mears/dp/0340829710

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't read his books or seen his courses but; I have to agree that the boy scout handbooks and fieldbooks (especially the older ones) are vastly overlooked resources.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE