Sussex Group Christmas Meet 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
So did I. Might end up with a nice stick of charcoal? What diameter is the internal of your barrel, I've got an old round BBQ grill that we could put the turkey on. Maybe wrap a couple of bricks in tin foil to prop it up? I'll let you carry them from the car for me though.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I'll bring another DO for the veg. What sort of size do is the rack needed for the turkey to go on? I've got a few somewhere, even a round one or two? Cheers for getting the Turkey in Spandit. Bruce, have a good journey home mate, it was good to meet you.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Assuming we're eating on the Saturday are we aiming for lunch or dinner?

For a 10lb turkey, the trash can site recommends 50 minutes which seems a bit brisk

A lot of organising to do. I suggest we appoint a head chef. How are we going to cook the venison?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Choices for the venison-

Spit (will need plenty of basting)
Roast (I think my 8lt dutch oven will struggle with the size)
Bake (plenty of foil and in the embers or a pit oven)
Casserole/stew

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well having 7 years catering experience under my belt, I vote for Spandit. More than happy to be a kitchen hand. Will we need venison too? How many of us are there, I've lost track?

From reading around on the net, that timing is about right. Don't forget the temp will get quite high in there.

check out the Igrill if you like your cooking gadgets

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There's also stock to be made from the carcass!

Don't casserole the venison. Spit roasting would be good but we'd have to be careful with the woods we burnt. As I said earlier, I'm bringing a meat thermometer

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
1 Spandit - both nights
2 Jackcbr - both nights - I'll bring the sausages in bacon might have a dinner guest too
3 SimonH - both nights
4 widu13 - I'll attempt both, but no promises- difficult weekend to juggle again.
5 Crosslandkelly both nights.
6 Hemdale
7 Peter_t - both nights hopefully
8 Neumo
9 Swallow + ???

The Swallows are appearing in some capacity likely Minimum Saturday day visit (plus dough for last time's day visit), the rest pans out on on other fledlings/brats being around and Ms. Swift is not quite ready to partake of a Winter overnighter with our current kit. I dare not volunteer her for head chef and am not good enough to take on the role myself. Secret Santa we'll have to remain out of as we don't have time to make anything I think.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
1 Spandit - both nights
2 Jackcbr - both nights - I'll bring the sausages in bacon might have a dinner guest too
3 SimonH - both nights
4 widu13 - I'll attempt both, but no promises- difficult weekend to juggle again.
5 Crosslandkelly both nights.
6 Hemdale
7 Peter_t - both nights hopefully
8 Neumo
9 Swallow + ???
10 Bill Both nights

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
this is looking too good to miss! i think i might have to come and sneak along for the saturday. il see what i can do

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Any chance of me being able to turn up on the Friday early evening. With the job I'm doing at the moment, I shall be free from about 1530 hrs.

No probs their matey. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to let you know how to book in when you get there. Depending what time my boss disappears will govern wen I leave. It's the Xmas party the night before so things might be thin on the ground that day. Just don't pitch up on my trees, you've been warned :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE