any fool can make something more complex.....simple woodwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
WoW!!!!

Fantastic skill Robin :cool:

If I tried paring wood as you did with the axe there would be fingers all over the floor- would make it very difficult for me to play my geetars!! :eek::eek:

Thanks for showing the vid mate goodjob

Cheers, John :)

We all have our own skills John and I am still blown away by what you guys at Forgemasters do. I do feel to be lucky to have found something that I enjoy so much and can make a living at.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Looking back to the old Hatfield Forest days it's good to see you perfecting your craft. That's a sweet workshop you've got there and lovely products.
Look forward to seeing what you can do in another twenty years!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Saw this video whenit was first put up. Enjoyed watching it as much now as the first time I saw it. Lovely work Robin you have a real skill! Have you ever thought about taking on an apprentice?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice work Robin, did you make the lathe yourself
Yes Colin, made this lathe and several others and forge all my own turning tools.

Saw this video whenit was first put up. Enjoyed watching it as much now as the first time I saw it. Lovely work Robin you have a real skill! Have you ever thought about taking on an apprentice?
I have thought about an apprentice and if I had a set up like friends in woods in Herefordshire where folk could live cheap for free I would. Accommodation in Edale is very expensive and I can't afford to pay living costs to someone.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thats a shame...skills like this should definitely be passed on! If theyre from derbby or close by could they not just travel?
When I started there was no one making pole lathe bowls today there are probably 50 folk in the UK that can turn one and I have taught folk via the web in the USA, Sweden, Japan and Germany, there are many ways of passing skills besides traditional apprenticeship.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Thats true! Great to know that traditioonal skills like this are being re kindled. Id love a wood lathe but being an apprentice myself it doesnt pay enough to buy one! And I wouldnt know where to begin making a pole lathe :)

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Allways nice to see first hand how such nice wood products are crafted, you get to apriciate them a lot more. Your work enviromant is the envey of every one who has seen it, and I sincerly hope you exceed that grand age.
Cheers
Bill

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
When my wife and I were planning to emigrate about 8 years ago, the small farm we were going to was off grid so I made a treadle lathe. I opted for the Da Vinci design using a van wheel and tyre for the fly wheel because I found it strange with the work piece rotating back and forth but watching you work this is obviously not a problem for you. I ended up selling it because to recoup some money, we didnt move and lost a few £k with the money we had paid out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE