Yew bow for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

I dont usually sell a bow that has not been commissioned by an archer but I have this poor yew character bow sat on the rack doing nothing and to be honest I could do with the extra cash for Christmas.
This bow has been shown here previously and has only been out for "bow camp" in the woods the once. I tend to take all my bows out to make sure they dont show any problems. The bow is 60" nock to nock so is a great size for the field. It is a pretty heavy draw, more so than I like which is another reason to let it go. This bow is designed for a 27" draw where its about 50lbs. Just took her out to make sure all is well and it doesn't alf slam an arrow. The bow takes about an inch and a half follow relaxing back to about an inch after un-bracing. If there are any questions please PM or post here.

I am looking for £170 for this, pickup would be nice so we can chat first but will post via my usual bow friendly courier. My usual commissions go for more than this and that's in a more common wood than yew.
If there is no joy here I will be putting it on Evilbay for £200. If you have a scout on the bay there are some shocking examples of yew bows going for more. Some I would be scared to pull due to some pretty shocking tillers. This is made completely by hand from all natural materials and took weeks of work to get right. There will not be another like it.

The bow has an arrow rest and a nocking point on a new double served Dacron string. Also has a new grip and my makers mark. The grip alone took most of a day to get right. The buyer would have to agree to look after the bow properly as it is not a glass bow you can throw about or let your mates over draw without consequence. Proper stringing methods and storing flat UNSTRUNG in a dry place.

I can send an arrow or two with this so you know what spine she likes. If you want a set making up we can do a deal as i have the jigs needed and can save you some money.

Antler fitted nocks.

IMAG0194.jpg

Nice ember orange belly.

IMAG0212.jpg

Back

IMAG0228-1.jpg

Braced but ignore the old temporary grip. New one below

P1010004.jpg

New grip

P1010003.jpg

P1010014-3.jpg

P1010009-2.jpg

P1010006-2.jpg

Graduation weekend in the woods, she passed. :)

IMAG0268-2.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
why on earth did i open this?
and do you know anyone who wants to buy a kidney so i can afford this?
its a lovely bow mate hope it sells before my resolve crumbles

Thanks bud. Going to be very hard to let her go, especially as bow worthy yew wood is so hard to find these days.
Like I say if I didn't need the cash and didn't already have a lighter version it would be staying in the rack just to look at if nawt else. Funds will be going on presents for the lad so it feels better somehow than just paying bills.

Go on, you know you want to ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
oh i know i want to
however i fear if i purchase this the first shot will be Lisa testing it out on me.....

Arrow wound should heal, bow is for life ;) I do know what you mean though mate.
Could throw in a blunt to make it less painful and a quicker recovery :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
That bow is beautiful. If it was any other time than before Christmas I would have snapped this up.

Good luck with the sale, the sacrifices we make for our kids hey! You selling it & me not buying it.

Sent from myPhone

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That bow is beautiful. If it was any other time than before Christmas I would have snapped this up.

Good luck with the sale, the sacrifices we make for our kids hey! You selling it & me not buying it.

Sent from myPhone

Thanks bud ;)

dwardo, can you tell me how / what to measure to get my draw length please ?

Draw length is basically then length you draw the arrow, measured from the back of the bow to the nock of the arrow whilst at full draw.
But I do know of other methods for various types of bow but it gets confusing. Your height and draw weight also can affect draw length but the average depending on height and an average draw length is roughly to be about 26-28.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
jeez guys, you're not helping me here, all i'm looking for is a ready reckoner for draw length, i don't want to make a bid on this bow if it's not suitable at 27"

so.........would a rough guide be from the fork between thumb and first finger of my left hand with arm at nearly full reach and my chin ?

help me here guys :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
jeez guys, you're not helping me here, all i'm looking for is a ready reckoner for draw length, i don't want to make a bid on this bow if it's not suitable at 27"

so.........would a rough guide be from the fork between thumb and first finger of my left hand with arm at nearly full reach and my chin ?

help me here guys :)

It depends on the bow, and 1 inch can make a big difference. It also depends on your draw style. Some people draw to the nose, cheek, mouth..

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sorry for the OT and polluting a sales thread.

read my post again..............draw to chin

Make yourself a green stick bow. The bow should be the same length and thickness at the grip as the one you are buying. String it up with some strong twine. Notch and Mark up a garden cane with inch marks, draw the cane back like an arrow. Measure off the length to the front of the bow to the back of the arrow.

This will give you a very approximate guide. It will be wrong.

Overdrawing a bow past its rating can stress it causing it to fail. It also adds to the poundage of the bow. Better to under draw as your draw length may increase with practice as you increase in strength and your stance improves.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This guy made me a bow last year
and all i can say is if you like it buy it.You wont go wrong with one of Leon's Bows
Use mine all the time very nice and comfy to shoot.
i cant recomend his bows enougth

Thanks Gary, tenner in the post ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE