Air rifle for father in law and little brother

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Shame yet another thread is corrupted with nonsense.

If you can't help the guy out with his well worded and specific questions then what's the point of answering.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi Spud

This is a BSA Lightning (XL)
BSALightning1.jpg

It's most definitely a springer allbeit a lightweight rifle that shoots as powerful as our law allows..

As already said, Weihrauch make some fantastic kit that lasts for years with an occasional service..

A HW95 is a nice break barrel springer that would probably suit your lad and scond hand bargains are out there..

I paid £130 for this one a couple of years ago..
riflehw95k.jpg

If your lad is a big strapping lad then a HW80 would be a good rifle (hefty lump though!)

Still can't believe I got this for £100 :eek:
HW80a1.jpg

Another nice HW is the HW35, a solid and dependable gun though again, a little on the heavy side..
riflehw35k.jpg

Nice PCPs include (lightweight guns) Air Arms S410, Air arms S200, HW100...

There's loads available these days!!

Good luck with your quest ;)

John :)

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Thanks for all the help guys and woof that's a fantastic offer mate but its the FIL buying it for him, just asked me for some advice as I'm the only one in the family who's into anything like that.
My mistake on the lightning, even better if its a springer then! And Il have a look at a few of the WH ones. He's a scrawny little thing (picture Sheldon from the Big Bang theory and make him 5 ft) so nothing with too much oomph behind it,,
He gets on great with my meteor mk2, Hence the focus on BSA as all of mine are theirs. Mercury mk1 meteor mk2 And a scorpion se on the way lol

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Alright Matt, a Bsa Lightening is a great gun for plinking. Avoid paying for an SMK, if it's free great, if not get something else! Growing up in Canada I got an air rifle at a young age for xmas(Slavia 630) and progressed to a .22 rimfire in my early teens(Cooey) then high powered rifles and shotguns at around 16. Nothing wrong with kids shooting guns or using knives if they know how to do so safely, good on you for getting him into it!

Here's a link I put up recently with my thoughts on it, my 7 year old is pictured firing a Bsa Lightening XL...

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
the SMK rifles can be made into very good starter guns with a little tuning
have a couple myself one a plinker and one is for the mrs. i got mine from
http://www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk/SMK.htm

Get them tuned by someone who knows them and you have a first rate little rifle. As has been said Weihrauch make excellent rifles my *baby* is a original Venom tuned HW77k but the springers do tend to be a little on the heavy side.

one that might be worth looking at for him is a second hand BSA lighting Xl tactical.
they are very lightweight full power so he will be able to do all sorts with it very comfy to shoulder and they have a synthetic stock so no worrys about newbie mistakes damaging a nice wooden one. also alot of kids are Drawn to the looks of it.

check out http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles-for-sale/Gun-Search.aspx?id=44&category=Air-Rifles
some great bargains to be had.
Also if you have a decent gun shop near you. take the lad there and see what rifle fits him. Everyone is different and has different preferences to what they enjoy to shoot you never know he might like a big heavy HW over a lightweight one.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Springer SMK's may well make for decent rifles with some fettling, I've heard horror stories about people buying the PCP ones for a song then having nothing but nightmares. Too good to be true and all that I guess.

A springer can't be too far off the mark especially with a bit of work I guess. Good to hear something positive about them for a change!

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
well they are basically copy's of the older Weihrauchs to the point that after market things like triggers and things will fit them direct. they fall down on quality control. there is rough edges and burs and other nastys. now i would take my trusty 77 anywhere with me over a smk any day but they are good little rifles if they have been sorted out and well worth a look. went to my local shop today to pick up some pellets and had a play with the new Walther LGV.. not a starter gun by any means but damn its impressive. few years time when the tech of that has started to filter down into everyone elses lines. springers wont ever be the same again.

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
i would avoid the PCP and Co2 ones though as rough edges and poor quality control.. while its easy to fix on a springer.. one seal out on a precharge or c02 and it dosnt really bear thinking about what could happen :( also springers are far more fun to shoot anyway and cheaper to run as no buying c02 or charging gear. my local place had a 2nd hand lighting Xl tactical in for under 200 quid in great condition *i was tempted myself but i think 12 rifles is enough for now*

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Thanks for all the advice guys, persuaded the FiL to stick with a springer for the lad and looks like iv failed. Youngun has now discovered what his present is to be and has took it upon himself to find one. Queue reviews and adverts for Air Arms s200 here there and everywhere! Anyone got one? What do you think of it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE