Top Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Hudson's Bay Voyageur axe, Silva Ranger compass, Gerber Strike force
if I had to have only 3.... :shock: BUT!!!!
Extra items:Never leave home without
Randall #3 knife, Diamond sharpener, SS GI canteen cup & mess kit, Sportsman's Blanket, snare wire, nylon rope
just a thought

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
At the moment my top pieces of kit are:

Swedish Firesteel
Swedish 35 litre day sack with external frame
Swedish Army cookset with Trangia cooker
Swedish Army wool cardigan
MOD '58 pattern water bottle
Petzl Micro headtorch
Full-length Thermarest

Do you see a pattern emerging here? Thank goodness for the Swedish government surplus clearout!

Best wishes

Bruce

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I suppose that it's actually more than three items.

firekit0016gw.jpg

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:shock: :eek:):

The teeth looking items are quartered pieces of spark-lite tinder that fill the match tube and along with the knife and Boyscouts Hotspark, fit nicely into the pouch, which is an old Gerber folding gators belt sheath/pouch. Lite weight and always with me.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
RovingArcher said:

The teeth looking items are quartered pieces of spark-lite tinder that fill the match tube and along with the knife and Boyscouts Hotspark, fit nicely into the pouch, which is an old Gerber folding gators belt sheath/pouch. Lite weight and always with me.

Hmmmm Keeping schtum about the duck though eh?? :eek:):

B

Bob Hurley

Best:

Stetson hats - I like the "3 Rivers" version sold at Cabela's, the Open Road is good too, with the brim turned down.

Wool clothing, any brand if well made and 100% wool

Case brand "chrome vanadium" pocket knives, especially the 6375CV

Worst:

Packaged first aid kits

Cotton clothing

Heavy, thick Vibram soles (unless you really have the need)

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I agree with the ventile
1. Ventile outer jacket cause it does not make that "plastic" sound when moving, it isjust cotton and is at least shower proof. It also does not tear easily, and is warm.
2. My brusletto knife, for a mass produced knife it is a wonderful tool and only about £30.
3. My old fashioned A-framed rucksac, cause it lets you get in a fair amount of kit and you can walk around the woods without getting tangled in the branches.

Worst kit
1. Virtually any "hiking" boot: I have never found a comfortable boot yet.
2. My prima multifuel stove because although it will handle almost any fuel, it sounds like a blowlamp, and that is just not right in nice surroundings.
3. a corbra 500, -30 deg C sleeping bag because it just isn't.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
RovingArcher said:

I thought they were Spark-Lite quarters ... very good idea that since a whole Spark-Lite is usually far too much tinder for one go.

W

Walkabout

The Best,
British 58 Pattern sleeping bag
Opinel No. 7 knife
Crusader Cup or the Cup i found in a pound shop
also deserves a mention;
Foil Blanket
Disposable Cigarette Lighters

The Worst
The Kipmat I took to ashdown
Baldocks Mini Hammock
Any survival card.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Top spot must go to my ever-reliable and light-as-a-feather cooker:

GST100A.jpg

Next up has to be my 2 person, less than 2.5kg, hailstorm-defying Hilleberg tent:

Vince_tent_at_Urdiceto_W.JPG

Finally [in a departure from my light-weight-is-best vein] I must say that my Swanni is just the best all round base camp coat:

SW116.jpg

Vince

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
1) Exped 9DLX down filled air mattress. INCREDIBLY comfy and warm.
2) Tilley TH3 hemp hat.
3) Swedish army mess kit (stainless steel of cource ;))

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Got an addition to my list - The tiny "orb raw" led flashlight. Size of my thumb but throws a massive 80 lumens of light - for 12 minutes !

Seriously, this is on a par with high end £100 plus torches for power but in a tiny £35 package. Runtime is short, but the batteries are lithium rechargeables so there's no running cost. As a everyday carry it's great because most of the time I only need a torch for one 5-10 minute job in a day. The universal response of friends and colleagues has been "wow - that's bright !

Look 'em up on the web :)

Alick

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Easy:

1. Enamel coffee pot
2. One fat stovie
3. Box of Swan (as I've said before, firesteels are a b****r for lighting the above :eek: )

Worst kit

1. Instant coffee
2. Thin stovie
3. Dead matches in a box :confused: (why do people do this???????)

H

halo

hhmmm top kit?

1.micarta woodlore
2.leatherman wave
3.my eco kettle
4.lowa combat gtx
5.MY SPECS cos every thing else would be pants without them(and probably dangerous too)

worst kit

not got any yet cos you guys find all the best stuff first :lmao: :You_Rock_

halo(quietly waiting for you to find more top kit :D :D )

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Doc said:
I'd be interested to know what people regard as really, really excellent kit, and invite you to name the three best (and, maybe worst)bushcraft/outdoors items you've ever used/owned. First impressions can be misleading and would suggest we restrict this to things you've owned for at least a few months/years.

My suggestions for top kit:

1) Silva type 54 sighting compass. Does everything the ordinary Silva compass does, but is accurate to half a degree or so - about twice the precision of the mirror-lidded type (saves a good bit of walking). Despite a fair amount of abuse it never broke. Lost it up in the Lake District a few years ago (Aaaaaargh!), and replaced it with a much cheaper model. Regretted it ever since.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/silva_expedition_54_lensatic_sighting_compass/

They still sell them. I like my Sliva Field 26, it is a small, cheap, mirror sighting compass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE