Millbank Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like these, combined with boiling the water, but they seem to be on a par with hen's teeth nowadays.

I propose to make myself one from the leg of an old pair of Rohan trousers. It looks as if the weave is fine enough, the fabric is very light and will roll up to nothing in the billy can. I intend to do an oversewn seam along the bottom and (I think) to hike it up so the water runs out the bottom straight through the fabric rather than through the seam. Of course, the bottom with be slanted so he water runs down towards the point as easier for making sure it all goes into the container.

Has anyone already done this? Would be glad of any tips :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think the Rohan fabric would be fine for the job; certainly lighter and easier to dry after use. These things aren't difficult to make and you seem to have the right idea.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Has anyone tried making these from ripstop nylon?

I've got some left over from making hammock snakeskins for my kids, not enough for a major project but easily enough to sew up a double layered bag. I was thinking of using some nylon straps to reinforce the top and create a couple of hanging loops to suspend it.

Elen Sentier

Has anyone tried making these from ripstop nylon?

I've got some left over from making hammock snakeskins for my kids, not enough for a major project but easily enough to sew up a double layered bag. I was thinking of using some nylon straps to reinforce the top and create a couple of hanging loops to suspend it.

Good idea, I just don't have any to spare.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
[video=youtube;x6VaUBx8SwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6VaUBx8SwY[/video]

[video=youtube;RvsjLukDDyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvsjLukDDyg[/video]

You get these very cheap on ebay, will do the job of a Millbank bag only faster...says he who's had them months and never used them :( ....I will...sometime.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Millbanks are great, just mind the dead sheep that always seem to be up river in your neck of the woods!

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I tried 1 micron biodiesel bags. Bought bigger ones and cut various shapes in them to create cones. Tried to increase column pressure by assembling a water bag, plastic tubing and put a filter piece at the end. It never worked properly. They clog up very quick. Even with clean tap water after a handful of use they stop working. The water just do not go through. Not sure why really. There is probably some variation in makes and fabrics. But I'm left with the feeling they are fiddly. While the best thing about millbank is to not be fiddly.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I tried 1 micron biodiesel bags. Bought bigger ones and cut various shapes in them to create cones. Tried to increase column pressure by assembling a water bag, plastic tubing and put a filter piece at the end. It never worked properly. They clog up very quick. Even with clean tap water after a handful of use they stop working. The water just do not go through. Not sure why really. There is probably some variation in makes and fabrics. But I'm left with the feeling they are fiddly. While the best thing about millbank is to not be fiddly.

Yep, simple repeatable good result.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Any updates?
Also, a question...
I know keeping them clean is not exactly important, but...
The one I have seems to be full of roach droppings, or something similar. And while I know that that really does not matter if you are using it the way it is supposed to be used, I wonder if it might have been treated with some kind of chemical for storage.
So... Is it safe to launder? Hot, Warm, Cold? Air dry I assume would be the best, as that is what would happen in the field... Or would it be best to dry on HOT to shrink it and make the fibers even titer???

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Turn it inside out and brush off all the loose crud, then give it a scrub in a bucket of cold water with a capful of household bleach in it. Rinse it in clean, fresh water and hang it out to dry.

No need to force the fibres to shrink as they swell when wet anyway.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE