Wicking T-Shirts advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I know it's not a short sleeve T but I generally wear craghoppers kiwi shirt baselayer as I like the option of having long sleeves to cover up when the bugs are hungry. Poly cotton mix get wets as you would imagine but in the past I have had my damp shirt in the sleep bag with me overnight then in the morning worn it below an old sleeka jacket for an hour or so and the kiwi has more or less dried out. Soon as I feel a bit cold due to damp my buffalo windshirt goes on if it's to warm for a arktis smock.

For warmth whist static I use a ulfrotte (woolpower) 200g zip neck over the kiwi and then the buffalo windshirt on top if needed, doesn't have to be a kiwi shirt, I suppose any polycotton mix would do the trick, just the features on the kiwi work for me and they can be dirt cheap.

Last edited:

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
+1 for the British surplus wicking t-shirts, i use the green & brown versions with no probs

The seams along the shoulders are also lower / offset to help stop them rubbing

Den

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you want cheap and durable, just get yourself a regular polyester t-shirt. They wick well, dry about 50% faster than merino wool (for the base layer), and they resist abrasion well. Oh, and they are cheap. :)

Well said that man:)

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27150.htm Got some a couple of years ago and they work really well. Look in Peacocks, B&M too, they often have thermal base layers for a fiver.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
So basic I brought cheap and that is the problem. Yeah cannot say enough bad things about Karrimor kit recently. I have a 20 year old fleece that is still in perfect working order.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
So basic I brought cheap and that is the problem. Yeah cannot say enough bad things about Karrimor kit recently. I have a 20 year old fleece that is still in perfect working order.

Yes, I don't bother with karrimor clothing anymore. My Mrs tends to buy cheap running tops and shorts and everything that has been karrimor branded has fallen to bits after 5 washes. Complete waste of manufacturing energy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE