Alpkit Hunka questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hi there
I'm looking to get a bivi bag to replace my dads enormous British army one and I was looking at the alpkit hunka.
But I have a couple of questions, how resistant to puncture is it? Will it do for general biviing?
And also, is it any good?
thanks in advance
Ben

Sent using the force

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
Hiya mate, I've used one for a few years now with no issues. However, if your of a large build, or want to use a really puffy doss bag, or have your kip mat in with you then go for the Hunka xl. I fit fine in the Hunka (5ft9, 12 stone) with a Snugpak Sleeper Extreme.

Hope that helps

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Stick with your dads issue Bivi, much more weatherproof and hard wearing. You will be pleased with the extra room in bad weather. Honestly

Flaxton

Jun 21, 2012
United Kingdom
I have a Hunka XL, I would stick with a mat that's maximum 20 inches across, the wide mats will not give you enough room for movement.

They don't feel like the thicket/strongest bivvis in the world but they are lighter...

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
the standard hunka is not really big enough to insert a sleep mat inside, i use a hunka and have not found a problem with it (use mat on outside anyway) i got it to replace the army issue bivy as it is much lighter and packs smaller and does the job just as good, i use it with a tarp but if using it on its own an issue bivy may be better for that because of its extra room, its about half the weight of an issue bivy which is a plus for me and its robust enough.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Right :)
I think, due to my circumstances (Skinny 14 year old with a buffalo sleeping bag (no loft to compress :-D)) I am going to go with the standard hunka and maybe get an XL one once I fill out a bit.
So thank you for your contributions guys !!!
Ben

Sent using the force

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
as a skinny 14 year old you will be fine with the standard hunka it will be plenty big enough, by the way if you are using a buffalo bag do you need a bivy bag at all, if using it under a tarp you may not, maybe you could start another thread asking buffalo bag users if they use a bivy bag over their buffalo bag themsleves as buffalo bags are supposed to be pretty weather proof anyway i believe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE