Surveying gadget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
016-3.jpg

But looks like its millitary...Anyone know anything?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like the old fashioned kind of sighting mechanism that lets you work out distance/ height for surveying. Think monocular with an integral graticule.
Yes/no ?
Meant to screw down securely onto a tripod with levels fitted.

If the lenses are clean and the whole piece moves smoothly there's no reason it shouldn't work.

cheers,
M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, on the inside of the box it says `The Watts `Highway` General Utility Level`.

Made by E R Watts and son.

That should give me a clue.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Back in the day eh Paul :lmao:

Indeed although i only ever used a digital one even back in the day. im not that old lol. The total stations they use these days are great though but i cant help thinking they take something away, my younger brother in law is doing a surveying degree at the moment and they dont do half of the trig we had to do back then. I vividly remember calculating whole circle bearings with manual tables because the lecturer said we had too. Ive never touched one since i left uni and i dont miss them :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a dumpy level.
No idea why they're called that. Builder's use them, they used to be used to make sure that the levels of roads and railways were accurately laid.

Nowadays we've got automatic ones, but I can still do a plane table survey :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE