Biolite first use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
After working like a loon for 3 months i decided to treat myself to a biolite. It was ordered on the Tuesday night from the USA and arrived at the front door 10.30am on Friday but then with a $50 delivery charge i think thats to be expected :D I had to pay customs charges of £17.50 so not too bad. I was in the woods this weekend so havent had chance to play until now.

I was going to do a video review but then there are already youtube videos of people lighting it etc so decided i would focus on usability and charging performance

I collected some wood on last nights dog walk and set up the BBQ test bed.

20120918_081207.jpg

its a doddle to put together and weighs about a kilo. I dropped in some lit birch bark and threw some small stuff on top. Once it was going a little i stacked some bigger stuff in, turned the fan on low, and it really started to motor

20120918_081748.jpg

Next i whacked the fan on high and plugged in my iphone 4. The charging indicator came on immediately. Time check was 8:19am and battery state was 38%.

I then filled my MSR kettle and put that on. The pot diameter of the MSR is 4.5 inches and i wouldnt want to go any lower than that for stability on the pot stand. Talking of the pot stand, its a very clever design. the three shallow sections shape the flame and if you line up your handles with one of the raised areas you dont get heat directly on the handle. I didnt time the boil as im not bothered by these stats but it was rapid.

20120918_083417.jpg

After making a brew i continued to feed wood with the fan on high. It is greedy on the high fan setting and smaller pieces of wood are devoured in quick order. turning the fan back to low makes the stove behave a more like a naturally aspirated wood gasifier. The jetting is not as concentrated and fuel burns longer. I do think i over filled it though :D You need to pay attention when having flames licking that high. If the wind blows the wrong way you could end up heating the orange housing which is plastic. It did give off a lot of heat though. Smoke was pretty much non existent. when standing back from the stove, all i could see was a heat haze.

20120918_084614.jpg

I continued to feed wood periodically (didnt stand over it) with the fan on low until 9:19 when i unplugged the phone. I burned pretty much all of the wood in the first pic and the phone battery went to 71%. I figure that performance is plenty to keep me topped off

I also put my hand flat underneath the stove and there was no noticable heat so its not likely to cause scorching.

All in all im pretty happy with it. Although its heavy this will be off set by not having to carry my usual charging pack and associated guff which weighs about 500g.

I left it to cool down and tipped out the residual ash which was not much for an hours burn.

20120918_103802.jpg

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I was under the impression that it only charged with the fan on high?

As to it's performance as a stove, I've been very impressed with mine.

Once you pay shipping and customs charges it it very expensive though.

Still, the whole "electricity from nowhere" thing still feels like magic to me. I love it.

I had planned on using it as a cycle touring stove, but the wet summer deterred me from trying it out in the field. You've motivated me to at least take it on some day tours before the weather gets too horrible.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have to confess i didnt check the charging state during the hour as i didnt want to wake the phone screen and skew the charge stats. Who knows if it cut in and out but im happy with the charge received in the hour.

the thing im unsure of is whether the internal battery supplements the charge with the fan on low but the instructions dont seem to indicate that that is the case and i would imaging the circuitry would prevent it to preserve fan function.

i guess ill learn more as i go along :D. you are right though wook the whole free power thing just makes you smile. if you worked out the payback though purely on charging you would need to live as long as gandolf to see your value :D

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm sure the next generations of these stoves will be even better but thanks for a good review. With the appalling battery life of an iPhone having a means to charge it in the woods is great

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
As an addendum I can conform BareThrills is right, it will charge on low. I just tried it a moment ago.

I had to get the fire up to temp with Hi, but once it started outputting electricity I turned it back down to low, and it continued outputting. That's good to know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE