Straight razor shaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Yesterday I bought an old Boker online from a friendly man that honed and stropped it for me. Today I bought a brush, soap and an alum-stick. Now all I need is for the razor to arrive in the post.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Yesterday I bought an old Boker online from a friendly man that honed and stropped it for me. Today I bought a brush, soap and an alum-stick. Now all I need is for the razor to arrive in the post.

Happy shaving! You'll need a hanging strop too.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Yeah, about that. Plain leather, or should I load it with something like ChromiumOxide?

Try raw leather especially as you haven't practiced much yet. It's easy to round the edge with paste. I only use a loaded strop after I hone, raw leather for my hanging strop before shaving. Nice choice of razor, is it a King Cutter?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Excuse me my ignorance, but what is a King Cutter?

It is this one:
Capture.JPG

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I had an old unused P.L.S razor the fore runner to CK tools, the scales were broken, so I replaced the scales with Brazilian ebony- Gombera ? And made the securing pins from hollow silver tube and yeah I had to make the tube, passed the tube through and splayed over the end with a dot punch. the razor was horrible to use, quite unlike my Gong, so that ended up as a paint scraper as I just had a need to get paint off glass until the blade broke. I still have it and may use the scales again sometime.

But perhaps we need to campaign to get every male using the straight razor to cut short the immense wastage we commit by paying stupid amounts for multi bladed disposables, as you just have to ask yourself why so many blades when one good blade will do ?

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
But perhaps we need to campaign to get every male using the straight razor to cut short the immense wastage we commit by paying stupid amounts for multi bladed disposables, as you just have to ask yourself why so many blades when one good blade will do ?

I agree with you, it seems daft to use plastic and expensive multiple blades that instantly clog and cause ingrown hairs paired with canned shaving cream that does very little. Give me a vintage piece of steel, a brush and decent shaving soap every time. Gilette have a lot to answer to, they had a campaign to wipe out straight razors so they could profit. They also issued American troops safety razors to seal the deal. Hence the end of real barbers and people maintaining straight razors.

I don't push the idea on anyone as it's none of my business but as you can see from the amount of posts I've made when people ask I'm more than willing to talk about them! I hated shaving until I had a shave from a Turkish barber when I was 21. I decided I'd buy a proper razor that day and I've never looked back. The less people doing it the easier it is for me to get old razors to restore and enjoy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE